Tilburg's Dutch Brown Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I brewed something up yesterday that may be similar to Tilburg's. I had never heard of it before, but googled "Trappist Brown Ale" to find out if there was anything similar to what I had made. I will try some Tilburg's out at Christmas (can't get it in KY) and try to figure out if I've made anything similar.

I was getting ready to rack my Trippel and wanted to use the yeast cake for a new brew. I also had a hankering for a brown ale. So, I figured I'd just toss a Sam Smith's clone on top of the Trappist Ale yeast cake. I made this recipe up by comparing a variety of Sam Smith clone recipes. I screwed up one thing: I added a whole pound of Crystal 40L instead of a half pound like I meant to (I get distracted easily sometimes):drunk:. When I was looking at the recipe at hopville, it was insanely on the malty side, so I added some phoenix hops to bitter it up a bit.

Steeped for 1/2 hour at 160* F in two gal of water:

1# Pale Malt, 6 Row, US
1# Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L
.75# Briess Special Roast
.5# Victory Malt
.25# Chocolate Malt

Brought to boil and added 6.6# Light Malt Extract Syrup

Returned to boil and added the following hops at the following intervals:

boil 60 mins 1.0 oz Phoenix pellet 10.0% AA
boil 30 mins 0.5 oz Fuggles pellet 4.2% AA
boil 30 mins 0.5 oz East Kent Goldings pellet 4.5% AA
boil 15 mins 0.5 oz East Kent Goldings pellet 4.5% AA

Pitched on to a cake of Wyeast 3787

I'll add tasting notes when I bottle and again a few weeks later, but I'm thinking this will need some time. I'll aim at a month in primary and a month bottle conditioning. This is a real wacky recipe, so we'll see if it turns out ok.:mug:

I brewed something up yesterday that may be similar to Tilburg's. I had never heard of it before, but googled "Trappist Brown Ale" to find out if there was anything similar to what I had made. I will try some Tilburg's out at Christmas (can't get it in KY) and try to figure out if I've made anything similar.

I was getting ready to rack my Trippel and wanted to use the yeast cake for a new brew. I also had a hankering for a brown ale. So, I figured I'd just toss a Sam Smith's clone on top of the Trappist Ale yeast cake. I made this recipe up by comparing a variety of Sam Smith clone recipes. I screwed up one thing: I added a whole pound of Crystal 40L instead of a half pound like I meant to (I get distracted easily sometimes):drunk:. When I was looking at the recipe at hopville, it was insanely on the malty side, so I added some phoenix hops to bitter it up a bit.

Steeped for 1/2 hour at 160* F in two gal of water:

1# Pale Malt, 6 Row, US
1# Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L
.75# Briess Special Roast
.5# Victory Malt
.25# Chocolate Malt

Brought to boil and added 6.6# Light Malt Extract Syrup

Returned to boil and added the following hops at the following intervals:

boil 60 mins 1.0 oz Phoenix pellet 10.0% AA
boil 30 mins 0.5 oz Fuggles pellet 4.2% AA
boil 30 mins 0.5 oz East Kent Goldings pellet 4.5% AA
boil 15 mins 0.5 oz East Kent Goldings pellet 4.5% AA

Pitched on to a cake of Wyeast 3787

I'll add tasting notes when I bottle and again a few weeks later, but I'm thinking this will need some time. I'll aim at a month in primary and a month bottle conditioning. This is a real wacky recipe, so we'll see if it turns out ok.:mug:

How did this turn out? Similar to Tilburgh's?

Very drinkable, but not Tiburg's. Next time I'll try the recipe as I originally had it (half pound of crystal and no phoenix hops). Also, I think Tilburg's is probably using saaz and styrian. Finally, my yeast were overworked from a tripel, so repitching turned out to be a bad idea. All that said, we flew through it and I got no complaints from friends. I did give it to a BJCP friend who tipped me off to the yeast problems. Ideally I want to keep the biscuity flavors and the yeasty spice, but with this one it was just too sweet to pick up on the complexities.

Very drinkable, but not Tiburg's. Next time I'll try the recipe as I originally had it (half pound of crystal and no phoenix hops). Also, I think Tilburg's is probably using saaz and styrian. Finally, my yeast were overworked from a tripel, so repitching turned out to be a bad idea. All that said, we flew through it and I got no complaints from friends. I did give it to a BJCP friend who tipped me off to the yeast problems. Ideally I want to keep the biscuity flavors and the yeasty spice, but with this one it was just too sweet to pick up on the complexities.

You think Tilburgs is using saaz and styrian instead of the fuggle and golding you used?

Back