what is this? Infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schristian619

Reaction score
So I brewed an amber ale last friday. It was the second part of BYO's newcastle batch. I did the extract version. I smacked the yeast on;y a few hours before making the starter, it swelled a little, but not very much. The starter didn't seem to do anything, but I figured that maybe I missed it, or whatever, so I pitched it(at around 70-73F. after 12 or so hours it had a nasty looking brown film on top that looked like protein chunks. This film covered the entire top layer. Then after a few days, the airlock started to bubble about once avery couple seconds. Temp has been constant at 66F and I used wyeast whitbread yeast. Her is what it looks like today(5 days later). There is some signs of weak fermentation, but this chinky film is worrying me. Also, the spots on the carboy walls have been increasing and are on the inside. I know some fermentations look wierd, but this one has me puzzled. What are your thoughts?

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3181/2782655091_6daa94a77d_b.jpg

I've had stuff like that before, it IMHO is nothing to worry about, it probably is a funky krausen

Sounds about right, to me. You will improve your ferment by letting your starter set for a day, though, next time. Its probably what accounts for the less than exciting fermentation, but though it may take a little longer to complete (check your FG to be sure its done before racking -and don't be surprised if, due to the weak fermentation in the primary, if you notice it 'restarting' when it sits in the secondary for a day.) Still, it should end up just fine.
As for the spots on the walls for the carboy, don't let it bother you. I'm not really sure WHAT they are -I've had this happen before. Best thing I could come up with is that the yeast or sediment is adhering to the walls of the carboy. Make sure you use a good brush to clean that baby out really well when the job is done, and don't let it sit after you empty it or you'll have a lot more work to do.

Back