I tired to fix it...but did i hurt it??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fat x nub

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This might be a bit long:

So last night me and my dad started brewing a pale ale. We did all the stuff and then took an original gravity and it was around1.110!! so we were like wtf is goin on...our hydrometer must be broken. So today we went to a local brew shop and told the guy about what happened and he said, "did u add enough water??" we thought 8 cups was a gallon and actually it is 16 cups. So we only had about 2 gallons of water in ouyr wort. So my dad was just like who cares and screw it...but since i bought this kit with my own money i wanted to get all 5 gallons. Since the wort had only been fermenting for a night i thought why not try to add an extra 3 gallons and get all my beer. Just now i added three gallons of water and now im worried that i might have hurt it. The bubbling in the air cap stopped (im not surprised...i just wish it would start again so i dont have to worry anymore). Do u guys think it will be allright? I think it just bubbled but i had to much water in my air lock and water started to get everywhere...so i had to take the top off and ket so water out and now it stopped bubbling again :(.

Relax, don't worry, have a homebrew. I am trying to wait on some pacman yeast to really kick off, it hasnt yet. It sucks, to wait, but you have to. It will be ok.

Relax, don't worry, have a homebrew. I am trying to wait on some pacman yeast to really kick off, it hasnt yet. It sucks, to wait, but you have to. It will be ok.

haha...i dont have to wait anymore. Right when i was done posting this it started to bubble rapidly :). The worst thing is is that my first batch was only 2.5 gallons and i didnt even know.

Just remember, bubbling or lack of bubbling in an airlock means nothing....the only way you tell about whether or not fermentation has occurred is with you hydrometer...and fermentation can take up to 72 hours to start...

I don't know if adding water 24 hours later is a good thing or not...you'll just have to wait it out...More than likely you dodged a bullet and everything will be fine...It is really hard to ruin beer....

Wait a week and take a hydro reading....then take another one 2 days later...if the number stays the same the beer is done fermenting....But don't use bubbling or lack of bubbling in the airlock as a sign of anything...

Just remember, bubbling or lack of bubbling in an airlock means nothing....the only way you tell about whether or not fermentation has occurred is with you hydrometer...and fermentation can take up to 72 hours to start...

I don't know if adding water 24 hours later is a good thing or not...you'll just have to wait it out...More than likely you dodged a bullet and everything will be fine...It is really hard to ruin beer....

Wait a week and take a hydro reading....then take another one 2 days later...if the number stays the same the beer is done fermenting....But don't use bubbling or lack of bubbling in the airlock as a sign of anything...

aight good to know...thanks

Back