When to transfer from primary to secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DaleJ

Reaction score
I've been reading everything I can find.
Threads on this board, howtobrew.com, books I have, etc. and I can't seem to get a clear idea on this.

And it seems like it's a big debate for many :)

I even saw someone recently suggest a 1-2-3 approach, 1 week in primary, 2 in secondary, and 3 in bottles.

So, is it best to transfer to the secondary based on time or based on a stable specific gravity?

Mod Edit:
I'm adding this to the FAQ thread. So any good advice please add it.
Thanks.

I do it as soon as I have a stable gravity for a couple of days. Then leave it in the secondary at least 10 days. Depending on the brew.

I've stopped going to secondary unless I have reason to do so.
I think it's better to stick with 1-2-3 until you have the experience to judge your self.

I also think that 1-2-3 is x1 x2 x3 where 1 is the time it takes to ferment.
So if it takes 10 days to ferment it is 10day, 20day, 30days.

Some people do not use a hydrometer (like myself) and use the 1-2-3 method as a rule of thumb. I have not done any heavy beers and 1 week in primary has always been good. You will need to adjust accordingly depending on the style of beer and how soon the yeast starts doing it's thing. The "right way" is to use the hydrometer to tell when it is ready, but the good news is you can do it anyway YOU want.

King of the Swill said:
The "right way" is to use the hydrometer to tell when it is ready, but the good news is you can do it anyway YOU want.

Provided you're making ales that have an OG of 1.040-1.060. You start doing much heavier, or making lagers, while not using a hydrometer is asking for some bottle bombs.

And for the reader, yes, bottle bombs do actually explode, send glass everywhere, and cause you to lose beer. :(. Plus, if they don't all explode, they're terrifying as hell to "empty" if you want to save the rest of your bottles.

The gravity method works best, but myself I give it three weeks in the primary before I transfer it over. Then I know everything is done... plus it gives it a chance to settle a little more before the secondary.

Cheers,
Grimmy

When I take my brewing notes I'll write down the OG.

In parenthesis I'll divide that number by 4 (for 75% attenuation)and that should be my FG...:D...this way my pre-math is done and all I have to do is look at my OG line for a possible FG.:rockin:

If the FG is hit then it's time to rack.

I take it you divide the fractional part of the OG (drop the 1. then divide).
My OG was 1.044, so I should be looking for 1.011, right?

You rack once the number is initially hit? Or do you wait for two readings a couple of days apart?

Ive always gone by what my local brew supply store says which is transfer at least a day after it stops bubbleing completely in the lock. Never have had any probs with that and the beer always comes out great.. but I have my first stout in the primary atm and from reading this board Im wondering if I should let it sit longer before racking over? Its now at 6 days and still getting some action in the lock.

orfy said:
Wait for the krausen to drop and some settling.
You are looking to leave as much trub behind as possible.

That's what I do. After a few batches, you just kind of know by looking at it. On fast ferments (hefe), I rack to secondary in a week. Most times it sits in primary for 10 days or 2 weeks depending on if I need my primaries for another batch. :D

Hey Gang, My LHBS Guy tells me to NEVER leave a batch in the primary for more than 7 days.....Is he crazy?? His thinking is Something about off-flavors from the yeast cake??
I know this has been adressed a billion times, but I want to make GOOD beer.....
-Jason

He's not crazy. But he's wrong.

Yeasts can stay in primary a long, long, long time before autolosis. It's actually beneficial to leave it in primary a little bit longer because leaving it on the yeast cake forces the yeast to "clean up" after themselves. I usually leave it about 10 days if I'm using a clearing tank. Since I've got an Anchor Steam clone in primary right now and I'm using a lager yeast, I'm not even planning on looking at it for another week. (It's been in there a week already!).

If you're not using a clearing tank (secondary), then I'd recommend leaving it in the fermenter for 3 weeks before bottling.

newbrewoob said:
Hey Gang, My LHBS Guy tells me to NEVER leave a batch in the primary for more than 7 days.....Is he crazy?? His thinking is Something about off-flavors from the yeast cake??
I know this has been adressed a billion times, but I want to make GOOD beer.....
-Jason

I just bottled a Winterhook clone that I left in the primary for 28 days, mostly because I was too lazy to move it.

Guess what? Its wonderful! Crystal clear and no off-flavors. YMMV.

First let krausen fall
Next look for stable Hydrometer reading

newbrewoob said:

if you have a strong ale, you can actually stall the fermentation by transferring to soon.

as long as the yeast are active (and they can be for weeks) there is no problem leaving it in the primary. even after they've settled you could leave it a few more weeks.

2811071527zc0.jpg

I'm guessing that the krausen hasn't fallen yet in my brew? Reason I ask is because it's been in the primary for 9 days (I know, that isn't that long).

So, once the krausen falls, should all of that foamy stuff be gone?

that's definetely a krausen. the krausen really isn't a good indicator, either. the only way to know for sure is with a hydrometer, and even that will only tell you when it's done with it's primary fermentation, NOT when the yeasts are done cleaning up after themselves.

Whenever in doubt, leave it an addtional week, i say. I've found the longer i leave my beers in the carboys, the better they usually turn out!

I don't bother with a hydrometer reading, but I leave my brews for two or more weeks in the primary. When the kegs are empty from the last batch, everything moves up. I haven't had an unfinished batch yet but the theory is that if it hasn't finished after two or three weeks, it's stuck. The act of transferring should cause it to fire up again. I don't keg until about 5 - 6 weeks in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back