New Guy Here...Southwest TN

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BamaProud

Reaction score
I have been brewing for about a year now. Made probably 6 5gal batches all from ingredient kits.
2012-03-29111351.jpg

...I like to cook too.

Well I decided to venture into wine making, and also went the kit route for my first batch. White Zinfindell (what the wife likes) is about ready to bottle.
2013-02-14091849_zps3ae9d882.jpg

Anyway, I plan on making a blackberry wine this Spring from berries. I figured this would be a good place to ask for guidance. Yeast type? Additives, Stabalizers, Tannins, Clearing stuff etc...? Of course the kit came with all that stuff. Are the additives really necessary?(I'm no wine aficionado)

Are there general guidelines I need to follow?

I have been brewing for about a year now. Made probably 6 5gal batches all from ingredient kits.

...I like to cook too.

Well I decided to venture into wine making, and also went the kit route for my first batch. White Zinfindell (what the wife likes) is about ready to bottle.

Anyway, I plan on making a blackberry wine this Spring from berries. I figured this would be a good place to ask for guidance. Yeast type? Additives, Stabalizers, Tannins, Clearing stuff etc...? Of course the kit came with all that stuff. Are the additives really necessary?(I'm no wine aficionado)

Yeast type you have many options, lalvin kv1116 is robust and versitile.

You need sulfites (camden) to prevent infection from other yeasts present on the berries and prevent oxidation while aging. Sorbate if you want to back sweeten. Pectic enzyme to prevent haze. Acid blend and precipitated chalk to balance acidity. Yeast nutrient and energizer. Tannins are good for fruit wines that are lacking.

2012-03-29111351.jpg

...I like to cook too.

2013-02-14091849_zps3ae9d882.jpg

MMM... the meat on your grill is making me sooo hungry.

Back