Tell me how this should finish ...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flyer

Reaction score
5 lbs Dark Extract (Liquid)
2 lbs Pale Extract (Liquid)
1/2 lbs Malto Dextrin

3/4 lbs Chocolate grains (steeped)
1/4 lbs Crystal 40L (steeped)
1/8 lbs Black Barley (stepped)
1/8 lbs Black Patent (steeped)

1 oz Galena (60 mins)

White Labs London Ale WLP013

At bottling, 1oz Unsweetened Baking Cocoa

I want to know what you think I should expect from this ...

It is dark .. very dark. Looked like mud in the bottom of the primay after racking to secondary.

What kind of flavor do ya'll think it will have?

With all that dark grain, what's the use of the crystal malt in there? Sounds like it's got potential, nonetheless. Good luck!

Sounds nice and tasty, very dark, mix it with some ice cream for a mudslide.
I would like to make a dark as he!! beer soon, I just started brewing a few months ago. Hope it turns out great.

Same boat as you John ... I'm still trying to get one that has a good taste to it. I've got a Vanilla Porter in bottles now, but it won't be ready for a while. My first batch was pretty bad.

This one was the 3rd. I just put it in the secondary last night.

I was hoping for a little more detailed idea on how it would come out so I can have an idea what it should be like.

It's tough to give an accurate idea of how a brew will turn out if you've never done it before yourself. Buying clone kits is a very good way to test your brewing process, you'll know exactly how they should turn out. Write your own early on and you'll get some odd results. (see other posts for what 4 lbs of rye will do to a mash)

Here's my input

5 lbs Dark Extract (Liquid)
2 lbs Pale Extract (Liquid)
1/2 lbs Malto Dextrin

Should be dark, full bodied.

3/4 lbs Chocolate grains (steeped)
1/4 lbs Crystal 40L (steeped)

Very dark, bittersweet chocolate, roasted barley and caramel flavors.

1/8 lbs Black Barley (stepped)
1/8 lbs Black Patent (steeped)

Coffee overtones and dark, really dark.

1 oz Galena (60 mins)

Moderate bitterness, probably not enough to balance the ABV. No hop aroma, little hop flavor.

Call it an Imperial Stout.

Never had much luck with adding chocolate in any form to an ale. I think it just settles out.

Cool .. that's kinda what I was looking for. I know it's difficult to predict a recipe. It's not one I just came up with though. It's actually a kit labeled 'Double Chocolate Stout'.

Understood, but unless a kit is a clone kit, you just don't know.

I'd be interested in how putting the cocoa in just before bottling works. Cocoa/chocolate is ground up beans and doesn't have many flavors that dissolve well. Mostly it floats around for a while and then settles out.

i'd be a little worried about the cocoa myself. and the lack of hops. but a stout isnt supposed to be hoppy so its probably fine. probably is gong for thetatse of a youngs double chocolate stout. if your using recipe kits, then if your beers are coming out funky its probably your procedure, or water, or something like that. whats the most noticeable off flavors from your first batch? it can tell you what you need to do differently, just post what you think tastes funny and someone on here will probably be able to tell you the culprit. my first 5 or 6 batches all had an off-flavor to them, and after thinking about it and doing some research i realized it was my water. now its distilled water only for me and no off flavors yet.

this sound like a rich dark stout or porter
sound like its going to be great // let us know how it is
to bad you cant send a sample via internet lol

sound like its going to be good......

Back