Problems with getting to starting gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wolax39

Reaction score
My third batch of all grains starting gravity is way under then what it should be. its at about 1.038 when i should be at 1.050. is there anything i can do now to fix this? any tips to aviod this in the future? I apln in using a couple more lbs of grains next time.

thanks

The quick answer is DME, if you have any on hand. Any other answer is going to require a lot more details. What are you mashing in? What sparge method? What temps? etc...

If thats your pre boil gravity expect it to finish close to your target of 1.050. If your pre boil target was 1.050 then just add some DME to your boil to reach your target OG. ErikH beat me to the punch --same answer.

You can add more grains next time, but you should really dig into why your efficieny is suffering if this is indeed the case. First place I'd look is grain crush. Second conversion check. Third process. Fourth pH. Other things can include but are not limited to faulty readings, reader error, equipment error/malfunction...etc...etc...etc.

Could be any one (or combination) of many individual processes.

Give a run down of your:
Recipe
Grain Bill
Water Used (volume)
Mash temps
Mash times

Etc.....

Basically, we need the "dear diary" narrative of what you did to get a lower-than-expected gravity.

Latest posts

Back