How much is 1 star anise?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhoadsrage

Reaction score
So I have added star anise to both a beer and a soda in the last 2 months. They were recipes out of books so I trusted them. Both of them had anise dominate the flavor.

So, is 1 star anise the whole star shaped pod or just one of the little fingers that contains an individual seed?

Cheers.

It's the whole fruit. How are you using it? I like to boil the entire whole fruit with my beer...but if you want a stronger flavor, it can be crushed into a powder.

Be careful....That stuff is so over powering. You have to really like that stuff to use a whole one, and it will take forever if you don't like it for the flavor to fade. I would really consider using only one or two little "petals" or whatever they are called.

With the beer I made a tincture and added it in secondary, with the soda it was boiled for 15 min. in water. I will definitively lower it to 2 petals if I ever use it again.

Thanks.

This is an example of why it is a good idea to taste your ingredients. I mean this not as a criticism of your practices, rhoadsrage, but just as a general comment for everyone.

I know that whenever I bite into those single "fingers," as you called them, when eating Indian food, it is just way too strong. I can see how a whole star thing would be way too much for (I assume) 5 gallons of beer. I might try as many as 2, MAYBE 3 of the sections if I liked it in beer, but my beer tastes are not that adventurous.

I have learned my lesson. I usually stick to softer spices but this was my first dealing with a big hitter.

Latest posts

Back