Intense Fermentation!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LowBrewer

Reaction score
Hello all,
I started a batch of Scottish Ale 36 hours ago. The fermentation took off VERY quickly, so fast that the temperature went up over 80 degrees. The kraeusen dropped in to the beer at 18 hours and the yeast started to sediment. Now the temp is back down to 74 but fermentation has all but stopped. The beer is still cloudy and I'm wondering if it has an infection. Any ideas? Advice?

Much Thanks!

Hello all,
I started a batch of Scottish Ale 36 hours ago. The fermentation took off VERY quickly, so fast that the temperature went up over 80 degrees. The kraeusen dropped in to the beer at 18 hours and the yeast started to sediment. Now the temp is back down to 74 but fermentation has all but stopped. The beer is still cloudy and I'm wondering if it has an infection. Any ideas? Advice?

Much Thanks!

No infections, just probably pitched to high...Get it cooled to 65-70 and see how she turns out. May get some off flavors but she will still be beer. Just note to self, pitch yeast at 65 next time or lower. Once it starts going its natural for the temp to rise cause its getting a work out in there. Was my problem for a while to, now im pitching at 65 and i have krauzen for about 3-4 days....Ya dont wanna stress the yeast by pitching to warm, let them work slow and low....

No infections, just probably pitched to high...Get it cooled to 65-70 and see how she turns out. May get some off flavors but she will still be beer. Just note to self, pitch yeast at 65 next time or lower. Once it starts going its natural for the temp to rise cause its getting a work out in there. Was my problem for a while to, now im pitching at 65 and i have krauzen for about 3-4 days....Ya dont wanna stress the yeast by pitching to warm, let them work slow and low....

Thanks for the advice. I pitched at 72, next time I'll cool it a bit more. Took a reading yesterday, it's at 1.011. I'm moving it off to the secondary for a few more days and hopefully it will finish ok. It doesn't smell or taste bad at least...

Probably not infected, however pitching/fermenting warmer does increase the chances of any nasties taking a better hold as some things like growing in warmer conditions (like the stuff that lives in our bodies).

After working in a brewery a few days ago and watching what they do to sanitise their bottling machine (near boiling water through it, then caustic soda, hot rinse, peracetic acid, then some chlorine foam), I was surprised when they tested it with some contraption that measures energy of living organisms (yeah, not the best scientific explanation), they found it still had a minute amount of life on the filling heads.

So yeah, best not to ferment as hot in the future as you're increasing infection chances, keep it cool and provide better conditions for yeast, not bacteria.

Wanted to let you all know that my Scottish 60, aka Murtagh's Barley Water, turned out pretty good. A little thin, but it's only a 60. Thanks to all for the advice!

Latest posts

Back