Question about usability of cold crashed yeast slurry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmorriso

Reaction score
I just made a simple 5 gal batch of cider (4.5 gal apple juice, 2 lbs honey, 1lbs dextrose). It started at 1.078 and I cold crashed it at just under 1.03. My question is after it clears in the fridge and I rack it to the keg, will the yeast slurry be revive-able? I'd like to make some skeeter pee out of it (http://www.skeeterpee.com/Recipe.html). I would assume it would If I let it warm up to room temp first, but I wanted to check before I made the attempt. Any ideas?

Liquid yeast from White Labs and Wyeast is supposed to be stored in the fridge. The yeast is warmed up and pitched. No problem.

You said you cold crashed at 1.03. Did you mean 1.030 or 1.003? If it's 1.030, your cider is gonna be really sweet.

Yes, 1.03 I'm shooting for a sweet cider. That's what I put it in the fridge as, I'm thinking by the time it stops it will be around 1.025 which was my target FG. The last one I did I let it go all the way to completion and it took a while for it to be drinkable, but after about 6 months it was really smooth. On this one I wanted to try a sweeter cider to see which I liked more. I know my friends prefer sweeter drinks so even if I'm not a big fan they will help me finish it.

I never thought of the liquid yeast being stored in the fridge, I even store my dry yeast in the fridge, duh moment for me I guess.

Back