Wine starter solution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mew

Reaction score
I made a starter solution for Lorena's welches wine recipe using about four cups water, 1/4 teaspoon cote des blancs wine yeast, 1 teaspoon yeast nutrient, and two tablespoons granulated sugar. I shook the heck out of the solution for oxygen, too. This is my first starter and I don't really know how they behave, but this one bubbled slowly in the begining and about twelve hours later it bubbles furiously when I swirl it, but otherwise it does nothing. Is this how a starter should behave? Should I pitch it tonight?

i would pitch it
2 tblespoons of sugar isn't much - the yeast probably finished it and are waiting for more

for a welch's wine i assume you are using a dry yeast.
probably just rehydrating it for 5 minutes in cooled boiled water and then pitching it would be fine.
a starter for dry yeast for wine is usually unnecessary.

Well, I pitched the starter about an hour ago. We'll see if it worked. Does anyone here know what welches white grape juice should look like when mixed with water? I assumed it would look like white wine, but when I opened the containers and poured them out it was a little brown. I hope my wine doesn't end up brown.

no, it should clear! Even my tomato wine (gross- don't ask) made from red tomatoes is nearly white and clear.

The only way it won't be white/clear is if it oxidizes or something like that. It takes about 30 days or so to finish, and then another 15-30 days after racking to really clear.

You can use finings if you have to, when it's done, but I never have.

Thanks for the reassurance. What's your racking schedule? I was thinking I would rack it when it's bubbling once every 30 seconds and again when it's clear. The purpose of the starter was to give the yeast oxygen during the growth period so I wouldn't have to add oxygen to the must (I was afraid it might turn brown).

mew said:
Thanks for the reassurance. What's your racking schedule? I was thinking I would rack it when it's bubbling once every 30 seconds and again when it's clear. The purpose of the starter was to give the yeast oxygen during the growth period so I wouldn't have to add oxygen to the must (I was afraid it might turn brown).

I rack at semi-regular intervals, usually when there are lees that 1/4 inch or so. I keep it in primary untl the s.g. is around 1.020 or so, then rack to secondary. Then, it's maybe every 30 or 45 days. To keep it from turning brown, use campden every other racking and don't splash. Keep it topped up, also.

Maybe the starter was a bad idea; now I have a violent ferment on my hands. Must is spewing out the top of the airlock (the impossible to clean kind). Oh well, at least the yeast is healthy.

Yooper Chick said:
If it's in primary, you don't even need an airlock. Just cover it with a paper towel or dish cloth, to keep fruit flies out.

I read that on Jack keller's site, but, being a beer-guy, I didn't really believe it. Thanks for all the help!

I put the lids on my wine fermenters, just dont lock them down, and I do put the airlock in the airlock hole.
Also, alot of times, starters are not needed with wine yeast, nor is rehydrating. I have made a few kits, and they have all benn good fermenters just from sprinkling the yeast on top and not stirring at all. Just sprinkle and done. Have never had a problem.

Latest posts

Back