4 Meads

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you logged in? Facebook are nazis about privacy, you can't see even the basic information of a person's profile without logging in.

sorry guys, I didn't realize you couldn't see them without a facebook profile.

18768_1250112466925_1652880837_621548_3769000_n.jpg

18768_1250112506926_1652880837_621549_32977_n.jpg

18768_1250112626929_1652880837_621552_6804427_n.jpg

18768_1250112586928_1652880837_621551_1989126_n.jpg

18768_1250112546927_1652880837_621550_8078878_n.jpg

Wow, I never knew mead glows in the dark! I've gotta check my next batch out at night sometime...

Love those blueberries--huge! :)

Just a question. Why didn't you crush the berries? And what genetically altered plant did you get those blueberries from they look like golf balls.

for each of the fruits I froze them in a ziploc bag, thawed them in the fridge, and froze them again. It made a surprising amount of juice!

As for the mutant blueberries, I live in Texas... everything bigger in Texas :) got them from the grocery store!

Just a question. Why didn't you crush the berries? And what genetically altered plant did you get those blueberries from they look like golf balls.

I suspect the glowing mead and the enormous blueberries might have something to do with each other... ;)

Great picture, thanks for sharing.
I am wondering also why you did not cut or crush the fruits.
Does enough sugar still get extracted out of the skins?
It all looks really good and seriously bloated, I hope they end up tasting as good as they look right now.

for each of the fruits I froze them in a ziploc bag, thawed them in the fridge, and froze them again. It made a surprising amount of juice!

As for the mutant blueberries, I live in Texas... everything bigger in Texas :) got them from the grocery store!

Answered on page 1 :)

Here's a brief overview of my technique/experiment. I have 3 approx. 1.5 liter glass apple juice bottles that I saved. I made 3 identical batches of mead and pitched WLP720 - sweet mead yeast into all 3. In the meantime I froze 16 oz. strawberries, 12 oz. blueberries, and 11.2 oz. raspberries in quart-sized Ziploc bags.

When fermentation looked like it was slowing down (about 3 weeks) I thawed the fruit in the fridge for 2 days. This created a lot of juice! I froze them again for 3 days. The day before I added them I put them back in the fridge. They didn't thaw all the way and some of the fruit was still frozen together. The freezing/thawing however made them all very soft to the touch as if they had been crushed. I've crushed fruit before and I seemed to get more of the juice out by freezing.

I heated them separately in sauce pans with about 1/4 gallon of water until they were warm to the touch (80-90 degrees). I funneled them into 1 gallon fermenters and racked the 3 meads on top of the fruit. I topped it off with water and airlocked it.

The pictures were taken on that same day. The blueberry and strawberry melomels were tan/yellow but the raspberry one was a nice shade of magenta.

Now, a couple days later, the blueberry one is bright purple, the strawberry one is a light pink or red, and the raspberry one is a deep magenta.

A strawberry got stuck overnight and popped the airlock off. I woke up this morning to 3 strawberries and an airlock lying around an open glass bottle. The blueberry also started to overflow into the airlock. I cleaned and re-sanitized and put them both back together. We'll see in the morning if I have another explosion!

I am actually surprised at how vigorous the fermentation restarted! I expected some but they are all 3 bubbling like crazy! The blueberry one is hissing like alka-seltzer!

Sorry, very long post. I'll try and post more pictures soon.

Latest posts

Back