Lesson learned...use a blow off.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CereousBrewer

Reaction score
I brewed 5 gallons of Patersbier on Nov 10th and had brewed it once before using only an airlock, so I figured it wouldn't be a problem this time, either.

Last night I looked at the fermentation and it was quite active but seemed OK. Well, this morning I went to the basement and...oh my. The airlock was still intact but it was plugged tight and the cap was bulging. I quickly grabbed a blow off tube and stuck it in a 5 gallon bucket of StarSan. Then I ever so slowly tried removing the airlock, but still ended up with a face full of yeasties and it splattered the ceiling, as well.

I got the blow off tube attached, but it continued belching krausen through the blow off tube and into the container for a half hour.

This was the first time (hopefully the last) this has happened to me. Did I do the correct thing or should I have done something else, other than put the blow off tube on first? :cross:
From now on, everthing gets a blow off tube...

Blow-Off.gif

When will people learn...

*shakes head*

When you get an explosive blowoff through your airlock, you're supposed to take pictures of the mess FIRST, and THEN clean up and attach a blowoff tube! We want photos!

And when you see the airlock bulging and there's even a SLIGHT chance you're going to get a face full of krausen, you need to have SWMBO there with a video camera recording when you pull the puppy off!

Come on! Get with the program here, you guys!

:D

Back