Some crazy fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zaprozdower

Reaction score
So my OG was 1.054, 1 and a half days later its 1.024...seems like that is extremely fast. Unfortunately my temperature is about 77 or 78 as I have no temperature control system. I'm using S-04 for a Nut Brown...think I'm going to see some real off flavors in this brew?

So my OG was 1.054, 1 and a half days later its 1.024...seems like that is extremely fast. Unfortunately my temperature is about 77 or 78 as I have no temperature control system. I'm using S-04 for a Nut Brown...think I'm going to see some real off flavors in this brew?

Maybe. S04 is pretty tolerant of high temperatures, but you'll notice some fruity off-flavors (esters) for sure. It might not be too bad, though.

Do you have a stick-on thermometer on the fermenter to see what the beer temperature is? If the fermentation is at 77, that's pretty high but not too awful. If the room temperature is at 77 or 78, though, the temperature inside the fermenter might be 85 or so. That would really give you some off-flavors.

I think you should be safe. S-04 is pretty clean and a brown ale should have enough body to hide most off flavors.

I would seriously look into some way to control those temps if you are going to brew a light bodied beer.

What Yoop said. That's pretty flocculant yeast so it's being fast is no surprise. But if your ambient temp was that high, you'll probably get some off tastes, maybe far more fruitiness than would be desired.

Dude - seriously - why are you checking gravity only a day and a half in??

Relax, it will be beer...just gotta give it some time.

Haha I'm relaxed, I was just curious as to how fast the fermentation was going after how vigorous it was for a day (and is now slowing down). I know itll be beer too, but I know that high temperatures can be bad, especially if youre not looking for high esters and fruitiness.

Think I might stick to Belgians and Saisons for the rest of the summer!

Back