Too Chilled Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LooyvilleLarry

Reaction score
One of the wires to my therm on my Love controller broke sometime last evening. This apparently causes the controller to close the contacts, which brought my deep freeze fermentation chamber to a chilly 20* F this morning :mad:

I don't know what the temp of the beer is, but neither the 1/2 gal growler for blowoff nor the carboy showed any signs of ice.

It was still bubbling last night @ 10.

This is an APA using Wyeast 1056, day 4 of the ferm. I had a starter that gave me active fermentation about 12hours after starting. The fermentation has been kept at 64*.

My plan is to RDWHAHB, turn the freezer off, and allow the beer to come up to mid -upper 60's and give it a swirl.

Anyone else done something similar? Results ?

I've never let it get that cold, but have had ale fermentations go down to 9 or 10C (38 or 40F.) I did just what you described and the beer turned out fine.

It lives !
For prosperity and the lone noob that finds the search function, I set the beer outside (temps to 70* today), then warmed up the freezer with a ceremic heater to about 72. Put the beer in. About 2 hours later, it was perking.

Turned it back down to 61 and it is perking away this morning.

Back