I found a 48qt/12 gal cooler - too big for 5 gal batches?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snailsongs

Reaction score
HI all,
I just acquired a 12 gallon (48qt) rectangular cooler that I want to convert to a mash tun. I was looking over John Palmers instructions in how to brew, and he said it's important not to get a coole that 's too big or the grain bed will be too shallow. So is a 48qt Gott cooler (rectangular) too big for the average 5 gallon batch (6-10lbs grain + water)? thanks guys.

I've got a 52qt cooler and it works great with small grain bills, and the extra space is nice for those 10% brews. I'd say convert it! Otherwise you'll just want a bigger one in two months.

It really depends on the dimensions of the cooler, I have a 48 quart that I thought about converting but decided it was too big.

If you have a hard copy of How To Brew there is a formula for figuring out your grain bed depth on Page 288. Appendix E, Lauter Tun Design for Batch Sparging

I use a 48qt cube cooler for my mlt and I fly sparge. It works great for 5 and 10 gallon batches.

Back