Palisades Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What beer style are you using them in and when/how much?

They can be grassy and rich with stone fruit flavor reminiscent of apricots. If they are 1 of 5 hops in an American IPA, they can work.

What beer style are you using them in and when/how much?

They can be grassy and rich with stone fruit flavor reminiscent of apricots. If they are 1 of 5 hops in an American IPA, they can work.

I used them in an IPA with Simcoe and ended up with a strong herbal flavor that didn't work at all. It was the one ingredient that I hadn't used before so I always blamed it on them. I've since tasted the flavor in a few of De Molen's beers that didn't contain Palisades, but thankfully have never had it reoccur in one of my beers (but I've always stayed away from Palisade hops after that one bad experience).

I used them in an IPA with Simcoe and ended up with a strong herbal flavor that didn't work at all. It was the one ingredient that I hadn't used before so I always blamed it on them. I've since tasted the flavor in a few of De Molen's beers that didn't contain Palisades, but thankfully have never had it reoccur in one of my beers (but I've always stayed away from Palisade hops after that one bad experience).

Hmm...that's what I had planned for them. An IPA with Simcoe, Palisades and something else, maybe Centennial. Now I'm a little scared to use them at all.

I've seen a couple posts that say the mix well with Amarillo. I have used them a few times, but only in moderation where other hops were strong and therefore I could not say what the Palisade added itself. Ninkasi Brewing says they use it with Summit, Amarillo & Centennial in their Tricerahops IIPA.

I just used them with Nelson Sauvin in an IPA, but I haven't transfered it to a keg to try yet. For what it's worth Palisade smell great when I weighed them out. If you look at the bottom of this page ('Similar Threads') there are some other posts about them.

Troegs Brewing also uses them in Nugget Nectar.

i made a dipa and amber both using palisades and loved both of em. i liked the fruitiness so much that i made the dipa again two weeks later

dipa
0.50 oz Warrior [16.00 %] - First Wort 120.0 min Hop 5 23.9 IBUs
3.00 oz Amarillo pellet [9.20 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 8 34.1 IBUs
2.00 oz Simcoe pellet [12.90 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 9 23.3 IBUs
3.00 oz Palisade [8.20 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 10 12.2 IBUs
1.00 oz Amarillo pellet [9.20 %] - Aroma Steep 0.0 min Hop 11 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Simcoe pellet [12.90 %] - Aroma Steep 0.0 min Hop 12 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Amarillo pellet [9.20 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 14 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Simcoe pellet [12.90 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 16 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Amarillo pellet [9.20 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 15 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Simcoe pellet [12.90 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 17 0.

amber
0.50 oz Cascade pellet [6.20 %] - First Wort 60.0 min Hop 7 10.3 IBUs
1.00 oz Palisade [7.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 9 11.3 IBUs
1.00 oz Cascade pellet [6.20 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 10 6.8 IBUs
1.00 oz Citra pellet 1 [13.90 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 11 8.4 IBUs
1.00 oz Citra pellet 1 [13.90 %] - Aroma Steep 0.0 min Hop 12 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Cascade pellet [6.20 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 14 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Citra pellet 1 [13.90 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days

Ninkasi Brewing says they use it with Summit, Amarillo & Centennial in their Tricerahops IIPA.

They also use Crystal hops in the dryhop. I designed and brewed a clone of this beer with assistance from the head brewer and it was spot on. That's why I said, Palisades hops work well when you use them in combination with a bunch of other varieties.

10.5 oz. total hops per 5 gallon batch

90 min Summit 43 IBUs
30 min Summit 21 IBUs
15 min Centennial 26 IBUs
5 min Amarillo 6 IBUs
20 min whirlpool w/Centennial, Palisades, Summit (3 oz. total)
8-10 day dryhop w/Amarillo, Centennial, Palisades, Crystal (4 oz. total)

thanks for the recipes and hop schedules. I'm not afraid. I'm going to go ahead with my IPA idea and use the Palisades, Simcoes, Summit, and Centennials that I have.

Back