New Kettle Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JuanKenobi

Reaction score
I'm looking for some input on a new kettle. I was intending on getting a 20 gallon blingmann this year, but it is an extravagance that I simply cant afford at this juncture. Right now I am boiling in a 36qt Bayou Classic, which is adequate for the 5.5 gallon batches that I do. I am looking to start doing some 11 gallon batches for house brews, but will still be doing a lot of 5.5 gallon batches. So the question is do I go for a 15gal or 20gal kettle? In this case it's between the Bayou Classic 62qt ($120) and their 82qt ($150). My biggest concern is the dimensions of the pots. The 62qt is 15.25" in diameter and 18.75" tall, but I can't seem to find reliable information on the dimensions of the 82qt, the best reference I found was an image I found by doing a search here. Someone posted a picture of the 82qt next to the 20gal boilermaker, but it was still hard to tell. I much prefer the taller kettle for a number of reasons. However the 82qt is also 18 gauge SS as opposed to the 62qt at 20 gauge (the same as the 36qt I'm currently using), and 18 gauge is the same as the blingmann.

Does anyone out there actually own the 82qt Bayou Classic and can tell me what the actual dimensions are?

How much of a difference does the slightly thicker SS really make?

I don't care about the $30 difference all that much, but I don't want to spend an extra $1 if there's no reason to.

I have the 20 gallon Blingmann and bring 18 gallons to a boil ins almost every batch with a Banjo Burner.

I fire it up when I have about 2 gallons in it from the first runnings. Works like a charm.

Spend the money on the thicker metal. I just bought a cheap 42qt bayou classic and the it bends so much when I open/close the ball valve. It leaks everywhere from being so flimsy. Get high gauge metal.

I have the 20 gallon Blingmann and bring 18 gallons to a boil ins almost every batch with a Banjo Burner.

I fire it up when I have about 2 gallons in it from the first runnings. Works like a charm.

Great idea heating while running off. Does it come to a boil before you achieve full volume?

Spend the money on the thicker metal. I just bought a cheap 42qt bayou classic and the it bends so much when I open/close the ball valve. It leaks everywhere from being so flimsy. Get high gauge metal.

Thanks for the info. That's exactly the sort of thing that I wouldn't have thought about, and that completely tips the scale. This will actually be the first time I've had a kettle with a valve at all. I've been lugging the 36qt around and pouring into fermenters for far too long. I'll be converting the 36qt into an HLT, so I'll get to see the difference first hand. Maybe I'll get creative and do something to beef up the kettle wall around the bulkhead.

Great idea heating while running off. Does it come to a boil before you achieve full volume?

No it does not as it constantly has 160 degree wort running into it, but it does reduce the time to boil considerably, especially when you are dealing with 18 gallons.

I just bought the 64qt Bayou with the intent of eventually drilling it and adding a ball valve. Has anyone done this? Will it weaken the pot?

It otherwise seems to be fine for the money. Welded handles all around, thick enough to do the job just fine.

The 64qt and smaller are all 20 gauge, the 84qt is the first step up in thickness at 18 gauge. That's the dilemma I started the thread over.

I just bought the 64qt Bayou with the intent of eventually drilling it and adding a ball valve. Has anyone done this? Will it weaken the pot?

It otherwise seems to be fine for the money. Welded handles all around, thick enough to do the job just fine.

I did just that, with the 42qt pot. Now, you have to consider I didn't install it correctly, but yes, the mettle bends rather drastically when I turn the ball valve on/off which results in a heavy drip. Or rather, a light flow. I have to hold the ball valve in place with one hand and open it with the other to have any chance of keeping the drip to a minimum.

I was EXACTLY in your shoes 60 days ago. I wish I could do it again. I humbly suggest you wait until you can splurge for the good stuff. Otherwise, like me, you will be buying 2 pots.

Back