Star San and Rubber Stoppers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pelikan

Reaction score
So I have a yeast starter kit, which comes with a dripped rubber stopper and airlock. I also have a glass carbon with one of those bungs that you can put an airlock in. The stopper is def made from rubber. The bung might be silicon, but could be rubber as well. So I'm wondering, is it safe to use star san to sanitize these items, or will it eat away at them? If not star san, what should be used?

Star-San-It!

You can starsan pretty much everything!

If diluted properly it is a very easy going cleaner, its no rinse!

I use iodophor for stoppers because star san makes them too slippery and they pop right out.

I use iodophor for stoppers because star san makes them too slippery and they pop right out.

See, here's where I become unsure of my sanitation practices. I've used both iodophor and starsan. My starsan, while it does foam, does not foam as much as I've been led to believe it should, and my starsan doesn't really make things very slippery, but my iodophor does.

as mentioned earlier, if wet with star san, the stopper will slip out. you'll have to let it dry or dry it with something clean before you put it in. For that reason, I don't like rubber stoppers as much as the universal ones.

Remember that Star San is a WET contact sanitizer. Its effective power being when it is wet. If you let it dry, any new contact with contamination is not going to be prevented.

Remember that Star San is a WET contact sanitizer. Its effective power being when it is wet. If you let it dry, any new contact with contamination is not going to be prevented.

Star San is advertised as providing a protective layer even after it dries. In other words, an acid/high TDS film is left behind. So whatever endospores get caught in that film are zapped. Somewhat like flypaper, although that's not an ideal analogy.

But I do understand what you mean. I'm not sanitizing the rubber stopper, letting it dry, then wiping my butt with it. Caution has been exercised.

:mug:

Back