Reasons not to use a Better Bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BadgerBrigade said:
I do understand your point, But maybe to the person posting that's a bit harsh. And is it the fault of the new forum member not to follow the past posts of old? I understand the search function but if the guy is new then shouldn't we be helpful and not brisk.
Lastly, If someone is frustrated with information being brought up over again maybe not commenting is the right way to go.

Please don't get me wrong guys, I'm not trying to be persnickety or argumentative, I just had someone be kind of short with me once when I was brand-new on a forum and it seemed a little unfriendly...

+1

Had the same happen to me today. For those of us that are new to the forum, and new ish to brewing we don't mean to open old wounds or bore anyone to death. We just want to
A-express our opinions like anybody else
B-rant about forum related topics
C-learn from other peoples experiences
D-participate in a discussion on a topic we find fascinating with others who do as well.

Just my humble opinion...

hcuda said:
+1

Just my humble opinion...

Your opinion is valid...
Better bottle guys is not...

A597B8BD-F6FB-47AC-8378-4E40BD54AE9A-2253-000002C699AFB53D_zps1731fb6a.jpg

passedpawn said:
Better Bottle can kick glass's ass. Every day. So there.

When the zombie apocalypse comes I'll be throwing my glass carboy is at them while you're throwing your plastic better bottles.... LOL

And when girls walk into an aesthetically pleasing home bar with beautiful Kezzer, and custom taps you want them to look over and see some plastic better bottles?

Everyone keep in mind
Glass is the Rolls Royce and better bottles are the Yugo..
Don't make me put another picture up of Triumph the insult comic dog passespawn... Lol

(I hope you all know that this is all in good fun... I'm sure you're better bottles are just fine.... For you guys; OH SNAP)!

Almost bought a Better Bottle the other day out of frugality. $24 instead of $43 at LHBS. Decided glass would be a lasting investment and easier to scrub gunk out. I don't have the room to have my beer equipment soak for long periods to clean.

Let's all come together in this and create a plastic dipped glass carboy...

Maintains the cleanliness and integrity of glass with this plastic outside that is safe and cannot break... Maybe we could dip a glass in clear Plastic polymer?!
I LIKE!

passedpawn said:
Chuck Norris uses Better Bottles. Chuck Norris sneezed and his glass carboys turned back to sand in nervous tension.

Chuck Norris once roundkicked a Better Bottle. The BB laughed. Respect.

Ok, that was funny s***!

Speaking of sand, my Buddhist practitioner girlfriend told me why the glass is sooo much better, glass comes from sand which comes from the earth and the ocean, You are surrounding your brew with good energy!

And if I'm not mistaken from my research on the Internet Better bottles are Recycled plastics from those plastic contraceptive inserts implants and Colonoscopy bags...

You are all wrong!!! I brew in the bathtub, best place in the house!!!

EZCyclone said:
You are all wrong!!! I brew in the bathtub, best place in the house!!!

Really, been wanting to try that....?!??
But my new idea is better....
Ok, low on funds and can't buy another carboy, so clean the cat box (gotta have the lid though), Silicone the lid to the cat box, Turn that sucker up right so the hole is on top & BLAMMO Fermenting bucket!
Won't shatter! Looks cool! Can be stored in the bathroom! If you have one like mine it's two-tone!
HOLY CRAP I THINK WE GOT SOMETHING BETTER THAN A GLASS CARBOY OR BETTER BOTTLE!!!
D89D9036-8786-4DF3-AF46-DAA273AD5E8B-2516-000002EB41901895_zps67e72839.jpg

[Okay, all joking aside, you know you are a warped individual when you actually contemplate doing this and rigging an airlock on the thing just to take a snapshot to put on the homebrew forum! I used a Google image instead so you guys wouldn't think I am completely off my rocker.]

Really, been wanting to try that....?!??
But my new idea is better....
Ok, low on funds and can't buy another carboy, so clean the cat box (gotta have the lid though), Silicone the lid to the cat box, Turn that sucker up right so the hole is on top & BLAMMO Fermenting bucket!
Won't shatter! Looks cool! Can be stored in the bathroom! If you have one like mine it's two-tone!
HOLY CRAP I THINK WE GOT SOMETHING BETTER THAN A GLASS CARBOY OR BETTER BOTTLE!!!

[Okay, all joking aside, you know you are a warped individual when you actually contemplate doing this and rigging an airlock on the thing just to take a snapshot to put on the homebrew forum! I used a Google image instead so you guys wouldn't think I am completely off my rocker.]

I Kind of want to photoshop in an air lock now....

Actually, every morning walking through the halls on the way to class we pass this HUGE super-OMG-way-over-the-top-built-to-go-to-the-bottom-of-the-challenger-deep rolling trash bin. It's made from some seriously reinforced HDPE. It's in the chem building and has a HDPE liner that is maybe .5" thick, an outter layer that is .5" thick of some unknown FRP, and then it is steal frame reinforced. The casters on it are maybe 10". I'm pretty sure this thing if for serious chem spills or something of the such. It has to be 600 gallons. Yes, I did the math and it came up to 598.25743 gallons... Yes I'm that kinda nerd!

Anyway, I told you that story to tell you this story. Every morning when we walk by it...I say DAMN that would hold a lot of beer!

My friends think I have a problem... lol.

Really, so we can buy a more expensive glass carboy, and buy an additional protective wrapper, and that's better than just buying the BB and throwing a T-shirt over it to keep it dark? I see the problem now. It's like trying to debate with my 3-year-old.

The City of West Lafayette recently distributed 48 gallon recycling totes compatible with their automatic lift trucks to everyone. The first week, ours was overflowing, so they left a note suggesting we call them and swap it for a 96 gallon tote at no cost.

I stared at it trying to find a way to fit an airlock for just a little too long before thinking, "No way." But.. 96 gallons... The rational lobe of my brain is growing uncomfortable with the increasing influence of the prefrontal brewing cortex.

passedpawn said:
Chuck Norris uses Better Bottles. Chuck Norris sneezed and his glass carboys turned back to sand in nervous tension.

Chuck Norris once roundkicked a Better Bottle. The BB laughed. Respect.

Now that's funny right there !

If you get an infection in a plastic container, then you really should get rid of said container. If you're using glass or metal, then you don't need to worry about it.

But if you're thinking better bottles are the way to go, then just buy some already and make up your own mind. No need to start another 60-post argument on the topic.

LandoLincoln was right on the money in the 2nd post of this thread! 60 posts?!
Might as well throw in my 2 cents...I ferment in plastic then age in glass.

I guess all I did earlier was play around, so here's what I do. I like buckets! BIG open head for actually being able to clean the damn things. Yes they are plastic which can scratch, but be careful. I have 8 running right now and never seem to have enough room! I do still have three glass carboys. 2, 6 and one 3 gal. Right now I have a PTE small batch in and the other two wine. They look cool, and it's fun to see the progress. But damn they are heavy a PITA to clean, you can't bang them together. I just like buckets better all around.

Err. I mean the bathtub...

I have both, the only thing I dont like about the better bottles is that if you touch them they can burp and suck fluid back into the carboy from the airloc, and they melt if you set them in front of a woodstove to dry out!! WVMJ

Back