Mashed with non-modified cooler to see if I like all grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ubenumber2

Reaction score
Just thought I would throw this out there ,made my first all grain that wasn't a BIAB style and I really wasn't sure if I was going to like it so I didn't want to buy a new cooler and modify it to see , so I went to the craft store and bought a yard and a half of nylon , they called it tulle. I put it down in the cooler and put 11 pounds of grain in it and tied it up loosely so that it that it was not packed tight at all. I hit my starting and original gravity that my recipe was set at with figuring 70% efficiency, I just set the cooler up on the counter and drained the wort out into my pot like normal , ran some back through , then did a batch sparge , so just an idea if you want to try all grain without spending on the cooler , and I did enjoy all grain , so now Ill buy a cooler and modify myself.

Grain1.jpg

The only issue for me is my cooler doesn't have a tap. Would simply decanting (or perhaps siphoning since its warm) the wort then gently pouring it through the grain again be useful for removing coudiness/sparging some more sugar?

Or should I just accept I would get a perfectly crystal clear and efficient mash if I'm not going to invest in equipment? :p

Do you want crystal clear wort or would you be satisfied with crystal clear beer? My wort comes out cloudy as h*** because I BIAB and I SQUEEZE the bag to get all the wort out that I can. My beers still turn out clear.

RM-MN said:
Do you want crystal clear wort or would you be satisfied with crystal clear beer? My wort comes out cloudy as h*** because I BIAB and I SQUEEZE the bag to get all the wort out that I can. My beers still turn out clear.

That sounds good enough for me!

Back