Yeast Pitching question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silverbullet07

Reaction score
The wyeast website states that the

" The Wyeast Activator (125 ml) smack-pack is designed to directly inoculate 5 gallons of standard ale wort (O.G. < 1.060, 65-72°F). When brewing high gravity beer (O.G. >1.060) or cold fermented lagers or ales (<65°F)) additional yeast will be required. An Activator contains approximately 100 billion cells which will deliver slightly less than 6 million cells per milliliter in a 5 gallon batch of beer"

However the yeast pitch calculators state that I need 192 billion cells which would be slightly over 10 million cell per milliliter in 5 gal batch.
which is for a 5gal batch of Ale < 1.060 OG.

Which do I believe?:confused: Should I believe Wyeast and add just the pack, or create a starter baced upon the yeast pith calculators?

I know WYeast says it's enough for 5 gallons. My advice, make a starter. Always. It's probably the simplest and most effective way to avoid a stuck fermentation later. And it's almost free - I use 6 ounces of DME for a 2 qt. starter, so there is a slight cost. But it's cheap insurance.

You can directly pitch a smack pack or a vial from white labs and it will ferment your beer but it makes no claim to be the proper pitching rate which is why it is common and recommended practice to make a proper starter for your particular beer.

Back