First-time cider maker, help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zhaph

Reaction score
Hey folks, I am a long-time beer brewer and I want to do a very simple batch of cider to try my hand at it this summer. I did some reading on making cider a while ago and even bought some yeast that's still good, so if it's the right kind I'd like to use that. I am usually a fan of dry ciders, but for this first attempt I don't care whether I make a dry one or a sweet one.

As I understand it (and please correct me wherever applicable), I can just go to the store and buy 5 gallons of apple juice, pour it in a glass carboy, add some sugar and yeast, and I'll be good to go. Is that right? If so, what's the best/most widely-available brand/type of apple juice to get? Do I need to be worried about pasteurization? How much sugar (and what kind, if any) should I add?

I have plenty of Red Star Montrachet yeast and I plan to force carbonate the finished product in a keg and drink it within a couple weeks or a month. Any advice would be much appreciated; thanks!

Nevermind, I realized I had posted pretty much the same thing a while back and I found all the info I needed via replies to that thread. Thanks! If someone could tell me how to remove this thread, I'd be much obliged. :)

Back