pear cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnnyBeerbottles

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have some pear concentrate 32oz. Takes one gallon of water to reconstitute so instead should I use 3/4 gallons of apple cider?
32 ounces pear concentrate
3/4 gallon apple cider
D47(yeast)
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1clove
Nutrient (1 tsp)
Energizer (1/2 tsp)
Would like this to be off dry.
Any thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

I would be greatly interested to hear how this turn outs. Would this be a Perry or a Cider? Have you given thought to using raw honey instead of dark brown sugar? Good luck with this, your math and ingredients look good.

I am new here...lurked for sometime before actually joining. I am putting up some batches this weekend (6 in all) of cider, perry and mead...I will be a busy bee for a while.

Have a nice mead going and just racked a 3 gallon cider into secondary yesterday. I have this pear concentrate I found of all places @ Williams sanoma. Ill post more about this when I do it, possibly this weekend. Yeah I hung out in the shadows for awhile before I joined too. I thought about using honey but I think the brown sugars gonna give a nice flavor.

Is it pear concentrate or pear nectar? They are two different things. I ask because the Williams Sonoma website lists pear nectar, but not pear concentrate.

Have a nice mead going and just racked a 3 gallon cider into secondary yesterday. I have this pear concentrate I found of all places @ Williams sanoma. Ill post more about this when I do it, possibly this weekend. Yeah I hung out in the shadows for awhile before I joined too. I thought about using honey but I think the brown sugars gonna give a nice flavor.

I just started my mead, its in for the long haul. Recipes as follows

15lbs wildflower honey - raw - pasteurized for 30 mins at 190 degrees after boiling water
4 1/2 gallons water
Wyeast Mead yeast
SG 1.080

This is will be primarily a straight mead, I will add fruit and spices in either the secondary or tertiary fermentation of smaller batches; keeping a portion that is just mead.

I have a batch of the 5 day sweet cider using Pear Juice, that I can't wait to try. I got hooked on Perry or Pear cider when a friend floated a Guinness on it for me to try.

Would this be a Perry or a Cider?

Technically a Perry is made from Perry pears. Some people use the term Perry for any "cider" made with all pear juice. I would guess this would be an Apple Pear cider. seeing as the OP used Apple Cider and Pear Conc. as the liquid base. If he had used just pear juice you might get away with calling it a Perry.

It's sort of that whole, Champagne only comes from the Champagne region of France. Everything else is sparkling wine.

Technically a Perry is made from Perry pears. Some people use the term Perry for any "cider" made with all pear juice. I would guess this would be an Apple Pear cider. seeing as the OP used Apple Cider and Pear Conc. as the liquid base. If he had used just pear juice you might get away with calling it a Perry.

It's sort of that whole, Champagne only comes from the Champagne region of France. Everything else is sparkling wine.

Thank you for enlightening me. I used strictly Pear Juice in one batch I am brewing ;).

Back