IIPA recipe, need help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cold Country Brewery

Reaction score
Help me in tweaking my first recipe I've created:

Extract
10 gallon batch

Grains:
1.5lbs Belgian Caramel Pils
.50lb Briess Caramel 40

Fermentables:
9lbs gold malt syrup
9lbs pilsen malt syrup
2lbs corn sugar

Hops:
3oz Warrior @ 60
3oz Simocoe @ 30
2oz Citra @ 10
2oz Citra @ 5
2oz Citra @ 0

Dry hop with something - any ideas?

American Ale yeast Wyeast

Look good? Gross? Am I way off somewhere? Help me tweak this and I'll update after it's done. Thanks all.

Doesn't look too bad. I'm no expert on hop scheduling, but I'd suggest Citra for the dry-hopping, truthfully. Get a big nose of Citra and you'll fall in love. Just a suggestion.

Help me in tweaking my first recipe I've created:

Extract
10 gallon batch

Grains:
.50lb Briess Caramel 40

Fermentables:
9lbs gold malt syrup
9lbs pilsen malt syrup
2lbs corn sugar

Hops:
3oz Warrior @ 60
3oz Simocoe @ 30
2oz Citra @ 10
2oz Citra @ 5
2oz Citra @ 0

Dry hop with something - any ideas?

American Ale yeast Wyeast

Look good? Gross? Am I way off somewhere? Help me tweak this and I'll update after it's done. Thanks all.

Looks good. You could dry hop with simcoe my Avery Maharaja clone calls for 4.5 oz of simcoe for the dry hop

citra has a very powerful tropical fruit flavor to it....like mango or something. I once used 1/2 oz at 15 mins in an IPA and was almost blown away with tropicalness. 4 oz in the 5-10min range would have probably made my head explode. If thats what you are shooting for great. With your recipe, i personally would only dry hop with 1-2oz citra, and sub the other citra additions with amarillo

Looks good, but I would consider changing the hop schedule to: .5 each simcoe/Citra at 10/5/0 then 1.5 each dryhop. At the least put some simcoe at dryhop and some as late additions. The warrior will get the bitterness (if I have time I will run some #s for you). Citra is probably my favorite, and have used 8oz in a batch and been very pleased, see my Zombie Dust thread. I also love some simcoe Citra mix though.

Ok, rough #s in beersmith for your recipe are 1.079 OG, 131 ibu. If you go with the. 5 each Citra/ Simcoe at 10/5/0 and 1.5 each dryhop it is 1.079 OG, 78.5 ibu. It would be a nice gravity:ibu ratio, but I like hoppy beers, so may consider trying to up the ibus a bit. Let us know what you do.

That was with 15% warrior, 12% simcoe, 12.4% Citra.

Looks like a decent recipe there CCB. Maybe take the 10 minute addition of Citra and replace it with Simcoe. Then Dry hop with those 2oz of Citra.

Thanks for the help everyone. I didn't stray too far off my original recipe. SpartyParty, welcome to the forum!

Extract iipa
10 gallon batch

Grains:
.50lb Briess Caramel 40

Fermentables:
9lbs gold malt syrup
9lbs pilsen malt syrup
2lbs corn sugar

Hops:
1oz Warrior First Hop Addition
2oz Warrior @ 60
3oz Simocoe @ 30
1 oz Citra @ 10
1oz Simocoe @ 10
2oz Citra @ 5
2oz Citra @ 0
Dry hop Citra 8oz (4oz each carboy)...I may bump this up to 10oz total, I will be buying Citra by the pound and will have some extras left.

I won't be brewing this until the end of next month, but I will FOR SURE keep you guys updated. I'm hoping this brew will live up to the Citra hype I've heard about. I'm hoping for a punch you in the face citrus aroma and flavor.

Citra doesn't give the grapefruity aroma/flavor that you get from the C-hops. Its more of a tropical fruit flavor/aroma...just an FYI.

Don't want you to expect citrus(grapefruit) and get something else.

I would consider using Citra or Simcoe as the FWH. The warrior isn't going to add much in the way of flavor/aroma, however the other 2 will.

The warrior will bitter it, and very well. I like the load of citra. Dry hop the lupulins out of it. :mug: don't forget to update the thread and tell us how it comes out. :ban:

I would add 1-2 oz of Simcoe for the dry hop, but that's me. Maybe take 1 oz from the 30 minute addition and dry hop with it.

1oz Warrior First Hop Addition
2oz Warrior @ 60
2oz Simocoe @ 30
1 oz Citra @ 10
1oz Simocoe @ 10
2oz Citra @ 5
2oz Citra @ 0
2-3oz Citra Dry Hop
1-2oz Simcoe Dry Hop

Either way, you're going to have a hop explosion that should be heavenly...

I would eliminate the 30 minute addition completely. Ever since making a few IPAs with a single bittering addition at 60 minutes & flavor/aroma additions every 5 mininutes for the last 20 minutes of the boil including flameout, I'll never go back to using 30-45 min additions.

My hop schedule would look like this...
- 2 oz Warrior 60 min
- 2 oz Simcoe 60 min
- 1 oz Citra 20 min
- 1 oz Citra 15 min
- 1 oz Citra 10 min
- 1 oz Citra 5 min
- 1 oz Citra Flameout
- 1 oz Simcoe Flameout
- 4 oz Citra Dry Hop 12 days
- 2 oz Simcoe Dry Hop 5 days

Also, if this is supposed to be an Imperial IPA, I think you need more fermentables for a 10 gallon batch. According to BrewPal, I get an estimated OG 1.075 & FG 1.019 (7.3% ABV) for your current recipe. Add another 3 lbs Golden LME & 1 lb Corn Sugar & you'll be up to OG 1.089 & FG 1.022 (8.7% ABV). Just be careful, a lot of people who brew extract IPAs get down to a gravity of 1.030 & it slows/stops there...just something that could happen with extract products. My extract IPAs got down to 1.020, so I've never experienced that issue. Make sure to control your fermentation so this baby will dry out as much as possible.

Good luck!

Thanks everyone for the input. Here is what we decided on for the final recipe.

CITRON WARRIOR (mostly Citra and Warrior hops)
10 Gallon Batch
OG = 1096
FG = 1024
IBU = 124
ABV = 9%
SRM = 6

Fermentables:
12lbs Gold LME
12lbs Pilsen LME
2lbs corn sugar

Grains:
.50lbs Briess Caramel 40

Hops:
FWH 3oz Citra
2oz Warrior @60
2oz Simcoe @ 30
1oz Citra @20
1oz Simcoe @15
1oz Citra @ 15
1oz Citra @10
1oz Citra @ 5
1oz Citra @ 0
Dry hop with 8oz Citra (4oz in each carboy)

Citra = 11%AA, Warrior = 16%AA, Simcoe = 13%AA

Back