URGENT-Brew day is Wednesday...Need info!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuffaloBrian

Reaction score
I originally posted this in the beginner brew thread however, no one responded. I am brewing on Wednesday and I dont want to screw this up. Here is a cut and past of what I previously posted...
--------------------------

I am very new to brewing. So far I started with a Mr.Beer kit. It was okay, but jumped right into partial extract. So far I completed 3 Partial Extracts. They were okay, but the best one so far was a complete kit, the Brewers Best IPA. So this time I decided I would try their Red Ale. The other 2 "kits" were store manufactured. The Ultimate Porter was and still is fantastic. Gives me heartburn, so I am punished if I imbibe too much.
Anyway, my questions are these...
Brewers Best Red Ale....good? good as is? -OR-
I want to increase the ABV w/o screwing it up. I read in a previous couple threads that to increase the ABV it should be done in the wort with either DME or LME(they didnt have that booster that has been talked about) but you would need to add flavoring hops to decrease the "sweatness". At the store the gentleman suggested another bag of hops because he wasnt sure how much hops were in the Muntons Malt Extract "Hopped Amber". I got the 3.3 lbs Muntons Malt Extract "Hopped Amber" and did not get the add'l hops. He said the ABV would increase from 5% to a possible 8% and the taste shouldnt be a problem.

Any thoughts?

edit: Also, I am set up for kegging if that makes a difference.

Please remember, I'm new, but I have had some success with drinking my own beer. LOL!
Regards,
Buff
-----------------
Again, Thanks

Personally, I wouldn't mess with that kit. I brewed the BB Irish Red as my second beer ever, and I still remember it. I loved it so much that I kept the recipe and converted it to all grain.

I agree. If you had your best beers from kits, why change it? You want more alcohol, chase a good beer with a whiskey if you are shooting for a buzz (or just enjoy several of your own good tasting beers)

If you're dead-set on boosting the boozalogical content, would suggest taking a look at how many fermentables you have (in terms of weight) versus the amount of hops. Figure out a ratio & go from there, using (typically) DME and a same or similar type of hop to balance it out. If I recall correctly, a pound of DME is equivalent to about a 0.7 to 0.8% ABV increase, but you'd need a recipe program like Beer Alchemy or an IBU calculator.

If you really don't want to go with figuring out hop ratios, I'd consider just doing the extra DME and add a second vial/packet of yeasties.

@Suthrncomfrt1884...That might just be what I do.
@skyebrewing...It's not really what I meant, but it kinda is. The beers that I made were listed to be 4.5-5.5 and they all turned out to approx be 3.25 give or take.
@scrambledegg81...That's good thoughts. I dont really understand the "IBU" point system and real world applications to compare it to. It's all trig to me right now. I'm still learning.
Here is some info that might help you help me(hehe).
On the side of the Brewers Best box it says IBU= 19-23 and comes with 6.6lbs Non-Diastatic Unhopped Light LME.
I am considering adding 3.3lbs Hoped Amber LME. The "EBU"s listed on the can is 45-55. Actually, on the Muntons can it says... Solids 80-82%, Colour (EBC) 16-20, Bitterness (EBU) 45-55.
Any thoughts, thanks in advance.

I just toss in some dex when I want an alcohol boost. Supposedly it doesn't affect taste, never has for me really. In fact one of my best beers had enough dex to bump the ABV by nearly 1%.

I've never tried this method on AG brews though so take my advice lightly.

add Dextrose, late addition. 15-10 min left in boil. when you put it into Brew Calculus some difference but little in IBUs and SRM.

Personally, i would leave a good beer alone. and another personal note, i have never had good results with BB. good beers but are mostly a generic beer.

if you like kits, (which i do) Try some of the online brewers, i have had good beers from:
Midwest brewers
austin homebrewers
Northern Brewer

(i don't have the exact websites, but you get the idea) IMHO, these sites have better beer kits than BB and they have more information about their beers.

hope this helps. Best of luck tomorrow

@GreenDragon...so the Liquid Malt Extract wouldnt do it? Would it affect it badly?
@Hockeyhunter99...I agree about the local brew kits. I got two recipes from Annapolis Home Brew(Australian Lager and Ultimate Porter) but I got the Brewers Best kits here in town. Annapolis is about 1-1/2 Hrs away. They make the kits and they always have 2 beers on tap to "sample". My buddy and I drove over there a month ago and caught a buzz waiting for our kits(grin). That's when I realized I would like to "boost" my ABV in my home brew. Also, thats why we bought the Ultimate Porter kit. It was just so damn good.
I just bought a BB kit this time because I stopped out at another local home brew store called Maryland Home Brew. The place was so packed and they dont "create" the kits anymore a gentleman explained (they didnt sell enough malt out of the drums to warrent it) and you have to crush your own grains. Being a noob I didnt want to go through all the trouble and mess up or keep a bunch of people waiting. Also, I didnt have a recipe. I had good luck with the only BB I made which was an American IPA and that is what I based my decision on.
I'm gonna reschedule my brew for Thursday morning so that I can get more info. If I have time I may just look up a recipe and buy the ingredients at a local home brew supply.
Any recommendations? I know that would be tough w/o knowing my tases but some name brands that I like are Yeungling, Bue Moon, Bass, Guiness, Sierra Nevada. I do not like the NASCAR beers. Not since I was exposed to beer with good flavor have I had Miller/AB/Coors. Just cant do it. It's like going to Ponderosa after Ruth's Chris.
Maybe as it is summer, something light in body. Possible a hint of citrus?
Thanks guys.

I agree with everything above. The BB kits are good. I like the idea of following it with a shot of whiskey. If you need to boost, and there a valid reasons why such as long voyages around Africa to reach India, or you can only get away to the garage for one or two beers before your missed in the house, then add a pound of dextrose.

Dex will not affect the coloring or taste. LME could affect the color & taste I believe. Add the dex close to the end of the boil. I use half a bag.

@GreenDragon...so the Liquid Malt Extract wouldnt do it? Would it affect it badly?
@Hockeyhunter99...I agree about the local brew kits. I got two recipes from Annapolis Home Brew(Australian Lager and Ultimate Porter) but I got the Brewers Best kits here in town. Annapolis is about 1-1/2 Hrs away. They make the kits and they always have 2 beers on tap to "sample". My buddy and I drove over there a month ago and caught a buzz waiting for our kits(grin). That's when I realized I would like to "boost" my ABV in my home brew. Also, thats why we bought the Ultimate Porter kit. It was just so damn good.
I just bought a BB kit this time because I stopped out at another local home brew store called Maryland Home Brew. The place was so packed and they dont "create" the kits anymore a gentleman explained (they didnt sell enough malt out of the drums to warrent it) and you have to crush your own grains. Being a noob I didnt want to go through all the trouble and mess up or keep a bunch of people waiting. Also, I didnt have a recipe. I had good luck with the only BB I made which was an American IPA and that is what I based my decision on.
I'm gonna reschedule my brew for Thursday morning so that I can get more info. If I have time I may just look up a recipe and buy the ingredients at a local home brew supply.
Any recommendations? I know that would be tough w/o knowing my tases but some name brands that I like are Yeungling, Bue Moon, Bass, Guiness, Sierra Nevada. I do not like the NASCAR beers. Not since I was exposed to beer with good flavor have I had Miller/AB/Coors. Just cant do it. It's like going to Ponderosa after Ruth's Chris.
Maybe as it is summer, something light in body. Possible a hint of citrus?
Thanks guys.

HEY that's where I go. I have the ultimate porter on tap right now at home. It is just like Old Peculier. Great beer.

Back