Methanol Bottle OK?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisS68

Reaction score
Got an empty 1 gallon brown glass bottle from the lab at work that I think would be perfect for starters and such. Thing is, it contained methanol. I figure with a decent cleaning its got to be ok for use.
What do you all think?

Chris

If you clean it really well and then can't smell it then I think it'd be fine. There is some small amount (~1%) of methanol in at least some distilled spirits (eg - whisky).

How much methanol does it take to be 'unhealthy'?
How much methanol could there possibly be in a 5 gal batch of beer, made from a <1gal yeast starter that was decanted?
My guess is that the difference is several orders of magnitude.

I've been making starters in my 4L methanol bottle for years.

If you're super concerned, rinse with 70-90% ethanol first, then rinse with ddH2O.

It's glass...Clean it thoroughly and rinse it out good and you'll be fine. I have several that I use for the same thing....why worry about glass? When you wash dishes are you leaving stuff behind on your drinking glasses? Why would you think a glass jug be any different?

Thanks everybody. I was thinking it would be fine. My thinking is: Glass doesn't absorb anything. After it was suggested, I was reminded that I did, in fact, rinse it again with ethanol when I got it a few months back. I understand there is methanol in beer anyway (albeit in trace quantities). How much can be left on glass after multiple washes?

Thanks again!

noooooooo, don't do it! methanol is highly flammable!!! you don't want bottle bombs do you?

Back