Making a Breakfast Stout by Adding Coffee to Oatmeal Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hjd

Reaction score
Hi everyone. For my third brew I would really like to make a breakfast stout. Would it work if I used this Oatmeal Stout kit and just added some cold brewed coffee in secondary? Would it taste good?

Any suggestions or alternatives?

Thanks guys.

It would work just fine. I would suggest you bottle half before adding the coffee. That way you can compare the two versions.

Thanks David. I've read that cold-steeping the coffee is a good way to do this, but I've also read about adding coffee grounds at the end of the boil, and adding whole beans to secondary.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the relative merits of each of these approaches?

I just bottled a batch of "Oatmeal Breakfast Stout" yesterday, added 1 1/2 cups of cold steeped coffee at bottling. Tasted delicious!

Cold steeping coffee is the way to go for adding coffee flavor. I would not add ground coffee to the boil - it will add a lot of harsh bitterness - and I have heard mixed reviews about dry hopping with whole beans.

Thanks bierhaus. I think that is what I will do too. Although I might do that for just half of the batch, as David suggested.

What kind of coffee did you use? What ratio of ground coffee to water did you use?

Last Wednesday I racked a batch of Founders Breakfast Stout clone (see Recipes section). This has what you're talking about, and chocolate, too. I decided since I was throwing 2 oz. of Papanicholas French Roast grounds in at flameout that I'd skip the cold-pressed coffee at flameout. Got a month to wait before bottling, but I had a taste when racking and it was great.

Click on the root directory for HBT and scroll on down past all the brewing forums, and you'll see "Recipe Database." It's under "Stout."

ive done many brekfast stouts... cold steeping is the way to go, ive always added it at flame out.... but i could see doing it either way.

Back