how to bleed a valve-less keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badmajon

Reaction score
Well, I bought this converted firestone keg for 21 dollars, but I have no idea how to bleed off the CO2 from this thing since there is no valve. I am new to kegging, and confused.

Thanks again

Oh, its converted to ball lock.

thumb.php

thumb.php

sorry don't do what?

Take a gas disconnect with no CO2 line connected. Hold the sliding connector up (outer ring). Press the disconnect down on the gas post. Pull it off when you have let out enough gas.

(AND, NOBODY gets to have fun with that last sentence)

;)

On a ball lock disconnect the bottom drops down to lock it in place but pressure will still bleed out with it not locked in. If you don't want to release all the pressure just don't let it lock down so you can pull it off .

Keep a towel handy just in case. That sounds like it has a chance to shoot some beer

Just take a pointy object and push the damn poppet down. If you do the wrong one you will get a bit of a shower, so move on to the other side.

urgh yeah I think I'm just going to buy a new lid for this keg. now the only question is, do these cornies all have the same lid size or is there a difference between the converted firestone/pin lock (what I have) and the normal ball lock cornies?

So I don't reccomend people buy the cornies from cornykeg.com, they are cheap but they don't have valves

urgh yeah I think I'm just going to buy a new lid for this keg. now the only question is, do these cornies all have the same lid size or is there a difference between the converted firestone/pin lock (what I have) and the normal ball lock cornies?

So I don't reccomend people buy the cornies from cornykeg.com, they are cheap but they don't have valves
I have 3 kegs, two don't have valves. It's not a big deal.

To answer your question though, none of my lids are interchangeable.

Back