Made starter on Wednesday, brewed today ...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bassman

Reaction score
Is there any reason to decant? I think I just pour the whole starter into the fermenter but always like to check. The starter is 1.8 liters for a 5.5 gal. batch.
My intention was to brew yesterday but things did not work out for that. I would assume that decant is only good if you let the starter go for several days and then cool it down.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

If the top of the starter looks more or less clear, I'd decant as much as you can without pouring out any visible chunks of yeast. 1.8 L is a lot to be putting into the beer IMHO.

Depends on what style of beer too.
I made a porter and just dumped it all in, but for lighter styles I decant.

The beer is a Premium Bitter. I took the advice presented and decanted down a bit, 800 ml, and poured that into the wort. The yeast is Wyeast 1968 which, as I'm sure most on this forum know, is highly flocculent.

So let's say I made a weissbier and used weihenstephen yeast. Would I decant considering the yeast has low flocullation?

So let's say I made a weissbier and used weihenstephen yeast. Would I decant considering the yeast has low flocullation?

Depends. Most people who decant throw their starters in the fridge so most of the yeast falls out of suspension regardless of flocculation properties. If you don't chill it, you may not want to decant a low flocculating yeast, but the fridge is a quick fix either way.

For me personally, if I'm making a 1L starter or less I usually just pitch the entire thing after it's been going for about 18 hours. If it's a bigger starter, maybe 2L, I try to plan ahead and after the starter is done, throw it in the fridge overnight and then decant before pitching.

Back