New Guy - All grain Equipment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmac197

Reaction score
I been brewing about 5 years now and havent made the leap to all grain just yet. I am going to make that leap really soon and have been looking for a setup that suits me. I dont really want the cooler systems as I know I will want to upgrade from that to soon. I would like to go all steel and have a complete set up. I am looking for something similar to the Sabco Brewmagic system without the price tag and computer system. I have only been able to run across a few full systems, the sabco and this one from synergy http://www.synergymetalworking.com/images/september09/05_090608.jpg. AM I not looking in the right places? Anyone know of other places that sell full set ups similar to the brewmagic or synergy?

Thanks for any help.

If you can't afford it get some Kegs and DIY, watch craigs list or this and other site for people getting out of the hobby. But don't expect give-away prices, good Stainless steel systems are expensive and retain their value. And if some pundits are correct and inflation takes off they'll only go up from here.

Many people use coolers and are completely happy because they are cost effective, a good cooler works great. There are many upgrades AG brewers want and going from a cooler to a Stainless steel MLT is usually the very last one most people with limited funds go for according to everything I've read

There are far to many other things that make brewing faster, easier, and more enjoyable than a SS MLT IMHO.

Thanks a bunch. Fortunately, money isnt that big of an issue but I do want to get the best bang for my buck and figured I would look at all the available options. I know if I get the cooler system, I will want to upgrade in a year and wish I had just bought the other the first time. I thought about the craigslist way and piecing it together, maybe I should search for brew system schematics. I would have to get it all and have someone weld it for me. I have never welded, may be a good time to learn but wouldnt want my first weld to be my brew system. I really just hadnt found many systems to look and compare prices. I figured there had to be more available than just two I knew of. Anyways, thanks and keep the suggestions coming if you know more.

Upgrading isn't a bad thing. It's a great learning experience to brew all grain with a large kettle, a burner, and a converted cooler using the Denny Conn batch sparge process. You'll easily recoup the cost by selling it to the next new all grain brewer IF you ever want to move on to a more robust system. I think the learning curve is steeper if you step off onto a finished all stainless system. If my first all grain had been on my current system, it would have probably ended up at the scrapyard the next day.

1. What is your budget?
2. What design concepts are important to you?
3. Do you want any automation?
4. If so how much?
5. What materials do you want to use or avoid? SS, plastic, brass, bronze, copper, etc.?
6. Do you want to do any DIY or assembly? Or do you want someone to deliver a fully done system to your door?
7. What size batches do you want to brew?
8. Electric, propane (high or low), NG?
9. Indoor, outdoor?

I am a proponent of building toward your goal and not doing it in steps. I have detailed several different builds in my blog.

Also, I am tentatively selling my current rig and it may be worth a look in our classifieds section ("perhaps selling my rig").

:EDIT: This was a good thread on the topic: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/all-grain-rims-herms-setup-new-box-125310/

Back