Cream of 3 Crops failure

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
First bad batch. Bottled about 3 weeks ago, tastes skunky.

I think I got some raindrops into the cooled boilpot, which might explain problem. Brown bottles used, so not lightstruck.

Looks gorgeous, clear as a bell, heads up great with lasting lace on sides. Leaves rings of lacing. Pale yellow color reminiscent of a BMC.

Dunno. Smell is worse than taste. I'm drinking it anyway, but I can only give samples to my brew buddies, not to non-brewers.

SGs: 1.054-1.015.

I have had two issues with yeast lag and the best description is a horse blanketey smell and taste. I currently have 10 gallons that I am letting sit to see if the smell and taste will leave? Good luck.

I have had two issues with yeast lag and the best description is a horse blanketey smell and taste. I currently have 10 gallons that I am letting sit to see if the smell and taste will leave? Good luck.

Sounds like you got a little Brett C. Won't leave, but it will be tasty (if you like wild brews) after a year.

And I had issues with my cream ale. I think the yeast has some funky characteristics.

Also; Corn constitutes a big part of the grainbill on CO3C.

Corn may take on a rancid type taste in the beer if it is stored too long in less than optimal conditions.

Dunno. Smell is worse than taste. I'm drinking it anyway, but I can only give samples to my brew buddies, not to non-brewers.

SGs: 1.054-1.015.

Do you precede the giving with a 10 minute explanation of how much the beer tastes like crap to cover your ass!? :cross:

I call it the homebrewers manifesto.

Back