Something pulled my rhizome out of the ground

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trubadour

Reaction score
I was late getting my rhizomes into the pot, but the one that was starting to grow went missing today. I couldn't believe it. Not just the tips -- the whole rhizome was missing. I found it about 10 feet away on the ground with, of course, the roots and sprouts gone.

What would do this? :confused: I have 2 small dogs, but no sign of dirt on their beards. Maybe a bird or a rat? Has this happened to anyone, and how can I prevent this?

Bummed :(,
Thanks.

Come on now--dogs are not dumb--they all watch Faux Noose now like the rest of us!
;)

This happened to me last year. Not sure what did it. I think I had 3 of my 5 that I planted dug up last year. I planted four new rhizomes this year and they all made it fine without being dug up. The only difference is that I mulched my hop mounds this year.

I lived in Calif for 30 years or so, and I still recall occasional instances where animals uprooted my new plants.
Here in central Florida I have never encountered such.

This morning, for instance, I was outside when a squirrel--a regular morning visitor here--came diddy-bopping along right over my row of hop mounds and never seemed to take notice of them. He seems to be more interested in robbing the neighbors' bird-feeders, and exploring whatever containers we leave strewn about.

Lotsa birds here, few rabbits, wild pigs--the only problems I've had, just occasionally, is with armadillos that burro down to the roots of bigger plants. (Found some useful and interesting info on these creatures on the 'net).

Skunks..... I knever knew what was doing the damage, until one night I came home at 3A.M. And caught it red handed!

Back