hops at flameout or dry hopped?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hiphops

Reaction score
I'm in the midst of making a pale ale. The recipe calls for 2 oz. cascade hops at flameout.

2 questions.

First. What is flameout? Is that when you're done with the boil?

Second. I'm thinking about either dry hopping those cascade hops instead of adding them at flameout or adding them at flameout and then dry hopping an additional 2 oz. cascade hops.

Any thoughts?

Ah, gotcha. Hence the term, flame-out.

I re-read what I wrote, and I wasn't trying to be a smart ass. I hope I didn't come off that way!

The hops go in when you turn off the flame, and stay in the for the chilling. I don't know the science behind it but some of the hops oils isomerize but most don't, but it provides great flavor and aroma.

In dryhopping, it's more of a fresh hops aroma with some flavor.

It's hard to explain, but they are different.

Not smart ass at all bro. I added the 2 oz. at flameout. I'm gonna dry hop 2 more. However, per a different post, I erroneously added 2 lbs of table sugar instead of 1. Lesson? Don't drink and brew; use a designated brewer, unless your BAC is under .08, which it ain't tonight!

Well, it finished with at 1.066. I added about more hops than the recipe called for to compensate: the recipe called for approx. 3.5 oz.; I added 5 (not including the 2 oz. of cascade hops I intend to dry hop for the final 7 days.) We'll see what happens with this one; i'm sure there'll be a lesson to learn. But for now, I'm gettin another beer before calling it a night.

Back