KEg inserts for no foam....help with thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ILOVEBEER

Reaction score
A while ago someone found some inserts from Mcmaster Carr that they inserted into the dispensing tube of their kegs, that eliminated the need for such long beer lines with great success.....I looked for the thread but no luck.

Does anyone have an idea who posted or what the items were called?

Thanks
Joe

McMaster.com, part # 74695A58 Bayonet Mixer Nozzle, 5.3" L, 1/4" Blunt Tip $1.38 each

You are awesome...thank you for the help! Any chance you know how many per tube in the keg?

You are awesome...thank you for the help! Any chance you know how many per tube in the keg?

I've used anywhere between 1 and 3. I think your best bet is to buy 3 or 4 per keg that you have.

mixer2.JPG

So how do these effect the flow and the flow rate? do you need to increase CO2 pressure when these are used?

It allows you to set your kegs right to their serving pressure. I serve at 12-14psi at 35-38 degrees with 10 feet of (I think) 3/16" line.

3 of them will really slow down the flow rate. Now that I'm in a keezer with a temperature that is more accurate than the (now dead) beer fridge I was using, I may not need that many. I'm still experimenting. I used 1x4 for my collar, so I don't have that much dead space, but I feel like I need to insulate the top half of my keezer better. This matters for how well the shanks stay cold and how much foam comes out as well.

FYI, you can get a very similar effect using 1/4" OD polyethylene tubing that is sold as ice maker water supply line. You can buy the tubing at most any hardware store, Home Depot etc. It's very cheap at about $3 for a 25 ft coil. The tubing is semi-rigid which makes it easy to install and also easy to remove for cleaning purposes. Slip it into the dip tube and trim the ends flush with a sharp utility knife. Works like a champ.

I only use them when I'm gonna take my keg some where and I'm using a short party tap. With my 10ft 3/16 beer lines at serving temp I'm fine with out them. But with the 3' party tap the beer simply comes out to fast and foams. One or two of the sticks in the diptube will reduce the speed of the beer coming out of the tap, therefore reducing the foam. 10-12 psi with a party tap is easily done with these....

FYI, you can get a very similar effect using 1/4" OD polyethylene tubing that is sold as ice maker water supply line. You can buy the tubing at most any hardware store, Home Depot etc. It's very cheap at about $3 for a 25 ft coil. The tubing is semi-rigid which makes it easy to install and also easy to remove for cleaning purposes. Slip it into the dip tube and trim the ends flush with a sharp utility knife. Works like a champ.

Brilliant. And the plastic is food grade.

Back