The Smell Is Torture!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B'sPointPlacePorter

Reaction score
I just racked my Blue Moon-ish clone into my secondary and it smells fantastic. I am going to have a very hard time waiting for this one. This is the first brew I have made without a kit. I got a lot of help and ideas from the forum. Thanks!

I really need to start writing down my recipes. There is a wealth of info here as long as you are able to provide enough background.

Next weekend I am going for my Vanilla Porter. Wish me luck.

Cheers

Haha, I know what you mean- the chocolate stout I'm fermenting now also smells great (heck, even the hydro samples taste great...) But it won't be ready for months still. Patience, patience, patience!

The solution, as many will say around here, is just to brew more :tank:

Brew more in order to alleviate the anguish. I admittedly made it only a week into bottle conditioning before I cracked open an IPA (my first homemade recipe too), and while it is a wee bit greenish, it tastes absolutely fantastic. I think this is because it spent a month in the secondary.

Definitely write everything down. I'm taking my brewlog to the LHBS today to get more supplies to replicate that IPA batch, now that I now it'll be gone quickly.

Brewing more is a fantastic idea. I really want to, but I have two little ones that I like to hang out with as well. I can't wait until they are off to college. JK LOL! Time seems to crawl waiting for your brew, but fly by when it comes to your kids.

Waiting is torment! My first brew (pale ale) was bottled a week ago and still needs a couple weeks before its ready. I have a brown ale fermenting in my closet and it smells and looks great. The problem is that I don't have a home brew that's ready to drink right now so the waiting is that much harder.

But just so your aware wheat beers are cloudy by style, so your blue moon clone would be fine without the secondary...

...if you want to speed the process up a bit.

And wheat beers are generally best when consumed earlier than other styles would be.

Chello said:
But just so your aware wheat beers are cloudy by style, so your blue moon clone would be fine without the secondary...

...if you want to speed the process up a bit.

And wheat beers are generally best when consumed earlier than other styles would be.

I was aware of the cloudy nature, but I thought it would need more time for the flavors to meld. Am I off base in my thinking? It had spent two weeks in the primary. Would that have been enough?

B'sPointPlacePorter said:
I was aware of the cloudy nature, but I thought it would need more time for the flavors to meld. Am I off base in my thinking? It had spent two weeks in the primary. Would that have been enough?

I've made several hefe's and a dunkel since I started brewing and they are definitely better at a young age. I do three weeks in primary then straight to bottle. Two weeks after bottling they are ready to consume, and are great at about two months in the bottle. I held some for 6 months or so and they weren't as good at that point. Drink them young!! :rockin:

cclloyd said:
I've made several hefe's and a dunkel since I started brewing and they are definitely better at a young age. I do three weeks in primary then straight to bottle. Two weeks after bottling they are ready to consume, and are great at about two months in the bottle. I held some for 6 months or so and they weren't as good at that point. Drink them young!! :rockin:

Thanks. That is fantastic news. It means I will be drinking them in three weeks. My wife is thrilled!

:mug:

My last hefe did 10 days in the primary, directly to keg. I was drinking it three days later and it was amazing.

Latest posts

Back