Extract brewer in a strange and intimidating land!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeehiveBrewer

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Well, I'm one step closer to joining you. I have done pure extracts to this point, but steeped some grain tonight because I'm feeling a little crazy!

I steeped some British crystal malt, 50 lovibond, and was told to do it for 15-20 minutes at 155 degrees F.

I accidentally let the temp get to 170. I immediately killed the heat and it stabilized around 155 for my 20 minutes.

Do you think the higher temps will have messed anything up? I'm pretty sure the higher temps are bad, but I don't know why. What did I do, and what do you think the after effects will be.

Lovin' my previous recipie, and eperimenting with the crystal malt,

Beehive

While it is important to control your temp, when steeping 170 should not cause any problems. Alot of the kits I have done say to keep the temp between 155 and 170. RDWHAHB.

Sounds like you're doing just fine. 170 is about as hot as you'll ever want to steep grains, but it's not going to ruin anything. Any hotter and you'd risk extracting bitter tannins from the grain husks that can contribute some harsh off flavors.

RDWHAHB!

Thanks guys. The temp was only there for a few minutes anyway.

It took me a minute, but I got it. RDWHAHB

A little bit of Charlie's advice. Got it, and although I don't have any home brew ready to drink (due to my waiting too long to brew another batch), I am drinking a Brother David's Abbey Style Ale from Anderson Valley Brewing Company in Boonville, CA. That is about as good as it gets store bought in Utah :)

Looking forward to kegging,
Beehive

Just remember, steeping grains isn't mashing. You don't wanna go over 170F for very long, but that's as tricky as it gets.
partial-mash or all-grain still another couple rungs up the ladder.

Back