First "Higher" Gravity AG - Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aaron1983

Reaction score
I just whipped up a brown ale with an OG of 1.072. It's a 5 gallon batch and I used a single 11g package of dry Danstar Nottingham yeast. I measured my gravity after only two days and read 1.014. I am concerned that my fermentation was too quick and my yeast could have been too "stressed" and fermented a little too warm. I had some good blowoff activity on day 1, and it mellowed out to a consistent bubble at what I could only guess as 1 or 2 bubbles per second.

I have never really had issues with lower gravity beers in the past, I just have a few questions:

1. Should I have used two packages instead of one?

2. Is it normal to have a small amount of fruity flavors after two days in primary? If so, will these flavors mellow out (or go away) after a while?

3. I do not have a very reliable way of controlling my temps, I feel my ale fermented a little warm at about 74 degrees. This early into fermentation, should I keep my fermenter where it is? Or try and find a much cooler spot... my garage is about 68-70...

Thanks for the help,
Aaron

1. Yes
2. Yes it is normal to smell and taste all kinds of strange flavors that soon. Some will fade, but others may stay, especially at that temperature and using just one packet.
3. Your garage would have been a much better place to ferment. It probably won't matter much now, but I would go ahead and move it (carefully).

1. Yes
2. Yes it is normal to smell and taste all kinds of strange flavors that soon. Some will fade, but others may stay, especially at that temperature and using just one packet.
3. Your garage would have been a much better place to ferment. It probably won't matter much now, but I would go ahead and move it (carefully).

Thanks! I've been learning the details of nearly every process of AG brewing as I go. I'm working on improving my crush for mashing, I think I will pair that with learning more about yeast starters and cell quantity as well.

Thanks again! :D

Thanks! I've been learning the details of nearly every process of AG brewing as I go. I'm working on improving my crush for mashing, I think I will pair that with learning more about yeast starters and cell quantity as well.

Thanks again! :D

Hope it turns out tasty. Give it lots of time!

Back