DDH Rye IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shuggy

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
US-05
Yeast Starter
No
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days at 65
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
10 at 65 crashed for 3 days
Tasting Notes
Huge flavor and aroma. Very tasty!
Double Dry Hop Rye IPA

Grains:

10.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row)
2.00 lb Rye Malt
1.00 lb Rye, Flaked
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine
1.00 lb Rice Hulls

Mash 60 minutes at 152

60 minute boil

1.00 oz Columbus (60 min)
0.75 oz Centennial (15 min)
0.75 oz Amarillo Gold (15 min)
0.50 oz Centennial (10 min)
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold (10 min)
0.50 oz Centennial (5 min)
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold (5 min)
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold (0 min)
0.50 oz Centennial (0 min)

Dry hop #1 in secondary 10 days

1.00 oz Simcoe
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold
1.00 oz Centennial

Dry hop #2 keg hops

1.00 oz Simcoe
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold
1.00 oz Centennial

rye01.JPG

Looks good - I have a similar one planned 3 batches from now, How's the taste? Can you get the Rye over the hops? or is the Rye under the hops?

Looks good - I have a similar one planned 3 batches from now, How's the taste? Can you get the Rye over the hops? or is the Rye under the hops?

If you're a hophead the taste is fantastic. Huge nose, solid bitterness, and a citrusy/floral assault on the tastebuds. It has only been in the keg for about a week so the rye is currently in the backseat with the late addition and keg hops driving but you can certainly tell there is rye in it. I'm not sure it is going to last long enough for the rye to make it to the front. It is difficult to keep my mitts off of it

I just kegged this recipe with a less agressive DDH and it smells wonderful, when I tried the hydro sample it was amazing as well. Now I'm anxious to give it a taste.

I just kegged this recipe with a less agressive DDH and it smells wonderful, when I tried the hydro sample it was amazing as well. Now I'm anxious to give it a taste.

I just kegged another batch this morning myself. The first go round didn't last very long. Let me know your final thoughts on it and what you changed once it has carbed up. Enjoy!

Ok so I changed the Columbus to an equivalent aa of centennial just because I have a lot of it. I dry hopped with simcoe and Amarillo first for 8 days then kegged with simcoe and centennial(1oz each). This is definitely anIpa that needs about 2 weeks in the keg before its really ready but it's very nice if you have the hops. I try at least a glass every day and it has been improving steadily.
ce5c144a.jpg

This beer looks great. But when I put the recipe into hopville, I get over 100 IBUs (5 gal post-boil). Any reason why that might be?

This beer looks great. But when I put the recipe into hopville, I get over 100 IBUs (5 gal post-boil). Any reason why that might be?

Changing the batch size along with using Rager instead of Tinseth will put it over 100. To be honest I don't pay much attention to the IBU calculations that any software program outputs. None of them are truly accurate. Have you ever put the Pliny recipe into one of the programs? The IBU's end up in the 200's which is impossible to actually achieve.

Back