Disaster...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tomtanner

Reaction score
Tonight while bottling the last of my four Christmas beers I knocked three mens health magazines into my bottling bucket full of my precious honey orange IPA.... I pulled them out immediately... You guys think I ruined it?

Men's Health magazines? On brew day?!?
mancard.jpg

Cheers! ;)

The principals of detection make me ask this, why where you standing on your counter with 3 mens health magazines that "fell" into the bucket, it makes me wonder if you were"pitching some yeast" :eek:

lol, hope you know I'm just messing, this is what I say (I'm still a newbie), screw it, it's already... "ruined" ...why not try to see what comes of the Tommy Hilfiger brew.

We gotta laugh at the simple things, if there was a hidden camera feed directly to HBT when I did my first brew a few weeks ago, you all would have laughed your asses off.
We all **** up here and there, give it a shot see if it comes out.

P.s. Don't keep "yeast" for next starter ;)

It might give it a slightly body oily and kind of fleshy cover flavor but otherwise I think it'll be ok

Isn't it funny how these things happen? But, I feel your pain!

In any case I think your brew will be fine. I'm assuming it was not wort but fermented beer due to it being in the bottling bucket so that greatly reduces the number of beasties that could infect it. As for the magazines themselves, unless there were any cologne or other inserts, and as long as the ink didn't immediately start to wash off, I think your beer will be fine. Just call it Men's Health IPA. :)

I was using the magazines to tilt my secondary forward so that I could syphon the last bit of beer out you turds!

It's probably okay. Keep an eye on that one, though. Give it a couple samples leading up to Christmas (I'm assuming you're planning to share this batch with family/friends, etc. over the holiday) just to make sure there's no gusher infection, off-flavors, etc.

The issues of Motor Trend, Popular Mechanics, and vintage Playboys are safe and sound, right?

That's kinda what I was thinking Jon. They were,after all,men's health magazines. But pulling out immediately is usually a safe bet. I'd let'em condition till they go into the fridge a week or two before the holiday,to taste it. Need some carbonation to tell for sure.

the_bird said:
Well, at least it wasn't sticky copies of "Maxim."

Ha! Reminds me of a review I read for some movie starring Jennifer Love Hewit - "Enough cleavage for even the loneliest Maxim reader."

Lolz. That'd give a new meaning to "germination". I think the alcohol would've prevented any unwanted multiplications.

Adjustments to your grain bill and mash schedule are a better way to add body to your beer.

Just sayin' ...

I think your brew will be OK. No self respecting germ would be caught dead on a Mens Health magazine.

Latest posts

Back