SMaSH recipe, drinkable?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgerard

Reaction score
I will be trying a SMaSH (single malt and single hop) beer tomorrow with what I have left from a recipe I did a few weeks ago, I am afraid to let the crushed grains get too old.

It is for a 2.25 gallon recipe:

5 lbs 2 row @ 150 for 60
.5 oz cascade @60
.25 oz cascade @30
.25 oz cascade @15
Safale 05

Will this produce a drinkable beer?

It will probably surprise you...all the smash beers I've done have been some of the best beers...

I've done this with Simcoe and 2-row and had one of my best beers, although I've only been brewing for about 8 months. To my surprise, I found that Simcoe wasn't available at my LHBS a couple weeks ago, so I decided to use Cascade for the same (this is now in my primary). I used the same hop schedule and hope to produce another good beer.

For a hoppy IPA type, which I assume you're shooting for, try doing a first wort hop addition (search threads if you're not sure of this). Then do a 20, 15, 10, 5, and 0 minute addition, followed by some good dry hops.

This is only my opinion, but I was not disappointed with my Simcoe SMaSH. Next, I'll be trying the same with Amarillo.

I am afraid to let the crushed grains get too old.

I recently brewed a SMaSH ale from Golden Promise malt that had been crushed for over a year, and the beer turned out great. As long as it doesn't get invaded by critters, crushed malt should be fine for several months.

Recipe looks tasty.

I am doing my first SMaSH this week. I am getting a hold of some wet cascades and going to use marris otter. I am just going to late hop the bajeezus about of it. I really like these simple brews. I think it speeds up the learning process for me. Knowing what does what in a beer. You might want to do a 5 gal tho!

I'm currently drinking my Munich and Cascade SMaSH... it's great. The fun is just trying different things.

Beezy said:
You might want to do a 5 gal tho!

QFT. I can't justify brewing less than 4 gallons at a time. My equipment is optimized for 5 gallons, though, and brewing less is only so I can grow yeast. Your situation may be different. I just hate to waste effort when a larger batch has such a tiny marginal cost.

I've done straight Cascade beers before and the best ones were those with a very high ratio of late-to-early hop additions. I don't know if Palmer is _the_ authority on hops, but there's probably a reason why How to Brew has Cascade listed as an aroma hop and not a bittering one.

I use cascade to bitter all the time(not literally). I've brewed many a pale solely with cascade too, although always with some c60 or carapils, so not a smash. Great beers tho.

944play said:
QFT. I can't justify brewing less than 4 gallons at a time. My equipment is optimized for 5 gallons, though, and brewing less is only so I can grow yeast. Your situation may be different. I just hate to waste effort when a larger batch has such a tiny marginal cost.

Yea I have college setting brewing capabilities.

Would using .5oz@ 60 cascade, .25@ 30, and dryhopping w the last .25 work better? I'm not a huge hophead..

Mashing out now! Plz help

In general, the earlier you add, the high AA extraction (bitterness). The later you add, the more aroma contribution.

Tastes great! I will try a different hop next time, not sure what though

Back