Which would you move to secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motleybrews

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Sat Saturday I brewed a nut brown ale and an American cream ale. Didn't think I would be brewing for a couple weeks, but my SWMBO wants to help me brew a batch of gluten free for her best friends birthday (late September) so I need to start soonish.

I was trying with these 2 batches to follow the longer primary/no secondary (first batch was brewed using a secondary, also was before I joined here), but I may not be able to. Here are my options: 1. Brew a 4G batch and use my 5G carboy for primary, or move one of the 2 in primary.

So if it were you, which would you move? Bonus points for why (so I can expand my knowledge).

Much appreciated

A cream ale is really nice cold conditioned a bit, so if you feel you must rack to a bright tank, you could do that and cold condition it at near freezing. That would give you a nice, clear, "clean" cream ale.

Yooper said:
A cream ale is really nice cold conditioned a bit, so if you feel you must rack to a bright tank, you could do that and cold condition it at near freezing. That would give you a nice, clear, "clean" cream ale.

Thank Yooper. Would you cold condition for 2 weeks?

Are they extract kits? I looked at Northern Brewers extract kits and both suggest 2 weeks primary then 2 weeks bottle conditioning. So I would pick the one that has greater appeal to me and move that one to secondary and let it go longer or pick the one with lesser appeal and bottle it early. (after FG has been reached). I would still primary as long as possible within your timeframe.

+1 on more fermenters.

Yooper said:
Yes, if I had the space and time!

I'm not in a hurry so I have the time. My lady and I just bought a house, and since I couldn't get out of my apt lease, that's where I've been doing my brewing. I've got a sidebyside fridge/freezer that is empty and a perfect fit, so I've got the space!

Thanks so much.

kh54s10 said:
Are they extract kits? I looked at Northern Brewers extract kits and both suggest 2 weeks primary then 2 weeks bottle conditioning. So I would pick the one that has greater appeal to me and move that one to secondary and let it go longer or pick the one with lesser appeal and bottle it early. (after FG has been reached). I would still primary as long as possible within your timeframe.

+1 on more fermenters.

Yea they were both extract kits. I'm not planning on doing the GF until Sunday (a week from tomorrow) when I get back from Notre Dame, so either one will get a solid 2 weeks in the primary.

Cant go wrong with more fermenters.

Ferment buckets are a valuable item. I hate cleaning my carboy, thus it will be used for apfelwein for the next 3-4 months. Get the extra bucket and enjoy the extra brewing possibilities.

+1 on more fermenters. You can never go wrong with more carboys. While buckets are nice and convient and cheap, a glass carboy will last a lifetime.

Ended up going to the LHBS today and got 2 more ale pails and airlocks. Still leaning towards transferring the cream ale to secondary (after 3 weeks instead of 2) and cold conditioning it for 2 weeks (@ around 35 degrees) then bottling.

Back