AHS European Ale kit Q

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

javedian

Reaction score
Anybody brew the Austin Homebrew European Ale kit? They have it on sale, and I was looking for a second kit to add to my order.

The only info given by AHS:
This beer is malty with a nice hop flavor and aroma. It is pale in color and and has a clean finish. Features 20L Crystal malt and hopped with Premiant, Sladek, Auscha (Saaz), Trschitz (Saaz) hops.

Please post the recipe if you have, as well as any impressions / descriptions / kit contents / OG / etc for whichever version you brewed.

I am thinking of the AG version, since it is only about $14 for the AG version.

I have brewed it and am Drinking it now. This was my first all grain kit that I fly sparged with. I like the beer, it's a golden yellow and has a nice malt profile. I would add more hops to it if I brewed it again.

European Ale!
What the hell is that?:eek:

Europe's a big place. English Ale is different to Belgium Ale is different to Polish Ale.
It sound like eastern Europe pilsner to me.

Just got this kit today, just grain & hops was $12.70, this will be my first all grain, brewing after my Baltic porter also from AHS (no, not using tired yeast from the porter). My first order from AHS, very impressed with their packaging. All hops were vaccuum packed in thick metalized foil in 1oz packets. This included 1oz of each of the hops called for, their recipe will leave 2x 1/2oz partials left - they will probably find their way into the pot, just not sure at what interval. I think getting the IBUs up near a pilsner level will work. I will use WLP001 from a beer I am bottling tomorrow - save a quart of slurry for 2 weeks in fridge and turn this into a Czech Pale Ale.

AHS Promo European Ale

Recipe AHS Promo European Ale Style Bohemian Pilsener (Ale)
Brewer Batch 5.25 gal
Mashed

Recipe Characteristics Recipe Gravity 1.055 OG Estimated FG 1.014 FG
Recipe Bitterness 30 IBU Alcohol by Volume 5.5%
Recipe Color 7° SRM Alcohol by Weight 4.3%

Ingredients
Quantity Grain Use
9.50 lb American two-row mashed
1.00 lb Crystal 20L mashed

Quantity Hop Form Time
0.50 oz Premiant (Saaz) 10%AA pellet 75 minutes
0.50 oz Sladek (Saaz) 7.5%AA pellet 15 minutes
1.00 oz Auscha (Saaz) 3.3%AA pellet 15 minutes
1.00 oz Trichitz (Saaz) 3.5%AA pellet 5 minutes

Let us know how that turns out! Why don't they just call it a Czech pale ale if its all Saaz hops?

After browsing back through Radical Brewing, I have decided to morph this into a Belgain-American IPA and use all the hops that came with the kit. I may add 1/2 lb aromatic if LHBS has it. Thoughts?

Recipe AHS Promo European Ale Style American IPA
Brewer Batch 5.50 gal
Mashed

Recipe Characteristics Recipe Gravity 1.064 OG Estimated FG 1.016 FG
Recipe Bitterness 52 IBU Alcohol by Volume 6.4%
Recipe Color 10° SRM Alcohol by Weight 5.0%

Ingredients
Quantity Grain Use
9.50 lb American two-row mashed
1.00 lb Crystal 20L mashed
2.00 lb American vienna mashed (to give a little more malt character)
0.50 lb Palm sugar (jaggery) - maybe bump to 1 lb
Quantity Hop Form Time
1.00 oz Premiant (Saaz) 10% pellet 60 minutes
0.50 oz Sladek (Saaz) 7.5% pellet 30 minutes
0.50 oz Auscha (Saaz) 3.3% pellet 30 minutes
0.50 oz Sladek (Saaz) 7.5% pellet 15 minutes
0.50 oz Auscha (Saaz) 3.3% pellet 15 minutes
1.00 oz Trichitz (Saaz) 3.5% pellet 0 minutes
Zest of 1/2 - 1 grapefruit at flameout
Safbrew T-58 yeast

Infusion mash at 152-154.

Back