If SWMBO gave you 280 sq. ft.........

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdWort

Reaction score
Ok, if SWMBO gave you an unfinished room, 20'x14", for brewing, drinking, poker playing, storing kegs, etc., what how would you finish it?

In other words, the brewhaus, playhaus, dawghaus.

Let your minds wander.....I'm looking for ideas for Das Brauhaus.

Perhaps Yuri and Brewpastor can store their toys in it. :drunk:

i can hang out on the screened and glassed in porch area, i'd turn it into a mini brewery. put a vent hood in over the plumbed in natural gas burners. floor, walls. ceiling would all be tile for hosing it down and clean up. huge stainless steel sinks. walk in fridge. you know, a small brewers kitchen.:mug:

I would Plumb it with natural gas so I wouldn't have to go outside. Put a huge fan and hood over the brewery. next to the sculpture on one side would be a SS double sink, on the other side would be my fermenters (conical of course). There would be a SS counter top under which there would be storage for bottles(gotta put beer in bottles for contests you know) hop scales, etc... There would be a pool table, a wet bar, BEER ON TAP A MUST!!! Giant screen TV with surround. Plenty of seating. Oh, forgot... the tacky girly posters. I'm not into posters of such nature but women dislike them... ALOT! it would just be one of the many tactics to keep the women out of this MAN ZONE!!! anything to keep the SWMBO OUT!!! Oh yeah, forgot, I would black out the windows. Why? Cause if I pass out in my man zone I don't want the sun awaking me to a hangover, I'd rather sleep through it. Think I might even allow smoking in mine. SWMBO can't stand it. I don't like it either too much, but I do enjoy brandybuck tobacco from a pipe from time to time. Grats man, btw, on scoring a zone of your own. that ROCKS!!!:tank: :rockin: :drunk:

Grimsawyer said:
Think I might even allow smoking in mine. Grats man, btw, on scoring a zone of your own. that ROCKS!!!:tank: :rockin: :drunk:
Thanks for the ideas! Keep them coming. I don't smoke myself, but the occasional cigar during a game of Texas Hold'em works for me.

I've been purusing Craigslist for the stainless sinks & counters. Some neat stuff.

This is exactly what I'm building. It will be 20' wide and 14' deep with a 6' covered porch in front. I have just a tad over 4 acres, so I have room to put it somewhere.

MyBrewHut.jpg

Ed, that's going to be righteous. You literally could line the back wall with the brewery, put a bar in front of it and leave the rest of the front area for pool, darts, poker, whatever... Restaurant supply stores might also be able to lead you to some used equipment as well.

Ize

So this is a completely separate building? With its own plumbing and all that?

Ed, I have nothing to say except that if you need someone to help break in the poker table, I can be on a plane... that's going to be wicked sweet.

Woah... That is one sexy lookin brew shed. *Green with envy* You could put the bar directly to the right, or left as you walk in so you could run a tap to the porch. When you are sitting outside BBQing you wouldn't want to walk that extra 10 feet for a beer now, would you? That is crazy talk. Why walk 10, 15 feet when you can just lean over and pour a nice cold frosty one. Yeah... that's what I'm talking about!:cross:

Ed-

Sorry to hear you have such a small space! Mine is 16x20! HA! I'm just finishing the sheetrock and insulation. So far it's got light, plugs, window hvac, & an attic ladder. I'm still working on how the lay-out will be. No plumbing to be had,sorry. Good luck on your project.

Sully

Very nice. Sometimes I wish I had a flat spot on my property for an out building. Guess I'll have to settle with the old garage. One thing you might consider is building a walk-in cooler in one corner and put your taps on the wall(s). You could even have a tap or two outside on the porch.

I have a room in the house (utility room) to brew and ferment in, and its about 18 x 18. The only thing is that I have to keep the dogs in there too.

SWMBO basically stated I could upgrade to a 40 gallon indoor setup (room is already plumbed with natural gas access, and indoor plumbing), and put in a vent hood over the setup someday when the dogs were gone.

I've been plotting against the dogs. . .

:off:

Biermann said:
....... over the setup someday when the dogs were gone.

I've been plotting against the dogs. . .

oh man... that's a tough choice. Your buddies or your brew... I say build a kennel for the dogs, what 4' X 2'... That's plenty big enough, right? Beats feeding them anti-freeze or letting them sample some spent hops, or slug bait, or.... or.... :p Me, I love my little buddy. On the long brew days nobody comes over to help (ok, that's every time except once... LOL) he's the one who keeps me company. He's also the first friend to sample my latest batch. hehehe (remember people, I said SAMPLE!! I'm not into getting my dog drunk. I think he'd be a whiney drunk, nobody likes a whiney drunk!!!)

I love my dogs as well. I'm seriously thinking about building some sort of outside kennel with a septic system, so I can just wash the $#!t down the drain. As it is right now, I have two dogs, one is a German shepherd who will crap on the floor whenever she feels like it. Not really a good housedog anyway. And the dog hair is everywhere. . . so much so I'm thinking of renaming my brew operation "hair of the dog brewery."

Other problem is that we live on the side of a hill with timber behind us--so I'm not sure how easy building an outdoor run for the dogs is going to be.

Biermann said:
And the dog hair is everywhere. . . so much so I'm thinking of renaming my brew operation "hair of the dog brewery."

hence my brewery being "drinkin dogs" (long haired shepard and black lab)

and ed i'm so jealous? what's the damage?

I'm planning to finish half of the basement, where I would have a ~320 sqft (24x13) area to put the brewery and a bar. I'm still lacking the funds for that project, but I plan to do this in stages.

I want to have a bar that is modeled after a rustic German Pub: big Stammtisch, wood paneling (I know it sounds cheesy) and the walls full with German and Beer related memorabilia.

I have ideas for the brewery, but for now I have to fugure out how to make propane safe indoors as well as installing a good sized ventilation system.

Kai

Kaiser said:
...now I have to fugure out how to make propane safe indoors as well as installing a good sized ventilation system.

Why don't you go natural gas and install a hood vent that has a direct line outdoors. be sure to test and keep co detectors around!

Kaiser said:
I have ideas for the brewery, but for now I have to fugure out how to make propane safe indoors as well as installing a good sized ventilation system.

Kai

You might chat with Glibiddy, he used propane in his basement without problems. He's got fans that send fumes directly outside and has CO detectors about. Personally, it still is something that I would not be terribly comfortable with, but that's utlimately your call.

Back