You only time the boil, right?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes and no. I mean how long is the volume going to be below boil. If you are adding late "Malt" and you turn off the boil to add the malt and let it cool a bit so it dosen't scortch. Yes stop the time. If you add the malt and the boil stops for 1-2 min don't bother. Remember this is not rocket science (or is it ;)) My ?? would be why add the malt late and not w/ the other malt? If it's for hop utilization I can see why, but other than that.....
Jay

When I used to do extract brewing, I'd suspend the time somewhat but not completely. The early hops addition will still be sitting in hot wort and you still have to go through the hot break. If it takes ten minutes to get back to a proper boil, I'd call it five or so.

+1 Jay. The rolling boil has more to do with the hop utilization than the malt extract. If you are doing full boils and getting great hop utilization, then I think you could fudge it. With partial boils, I would probably try to get it back to a boil and time it. But getting a partial boil back quickly isn't as difficult as a full boil.

When I use malt extract, I add it throughout the last 10-15 minutes of the boil in small doses, thereby never interrupting the boil. This works much better with dry malt extract than liquid malt extract though.

Ok, so not that important, I only loose maybe a minute or two anyway. It's just some recipes call for late addition of fermentables many times and sometimes they can stop the boil for 3-5 min depending upon the addition amount.

Not just extract either, there are late additions in many AG recipes that can stop the boil. I guess I just wonder when you get a recipe that says say, 36 IBU's and it has an early wort hopping that remains as the bittering hop, then a late addition sugar or molassas which could stop the boil for a bit. So I start wondering is the 36 IBU's taking that into consideration or does that need a set amount of actual boil time to achieve. I know it's not rocket science but these are the things I think about... too OC I guess..
:)

You shouldn't be adding fermentables multiple times- if you add corn sugar or malt extract late to the boil, you would add it once and be done with it. I'd add it at flame out, then it doesn't matter if it stops the boil but it'll still dissolve well.

Yes, I was just going to add it once. Corn Sugar and some LME at 15 min left so says the recipe. I realize that LME has already had a hot break but there seems to be a small one still. Do you think that will still occur if you added say 3# of LME at flame out? Last time the LME stopped the boil for about 5 min. but I didn't really push the flame after I added and stirred it in (using a 10 gal kettle). I didn't count that 5 min towards the boil time. I'm just trying to nail the IBU's and always worried about extra time on the main bittering hop. I guess when the temp goes below boiling there is less hop utilization but there is still something. So then the question comes up should I recalibrate the recipe for a 65 minute boil - a sort of 65 min. boil heh...?

Happy Turkey day btw...

Back