Mixing MEATS (different animals)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheezydemon3

Reaction score
I don't want to hear about TURDUCKENS. Bird on bird on bird is not crossing any taboo boundaries, and the whole practice is horsesh!t anyways, for the same reason "stuffing" doesn't work.

The internal temp of the inner most thing must be so high that the outermost thing is cooked to HELL.;)

Bacon also has become a seasoning, and is not taboo anywhere.(so BACON on a TURDUCKEN is just more white noise)

I cooked some shrimp in a skillet the other day while feeling LAZY. The skillet had previously warmed up some chicken soup which I dumped but did not rinse.

The chicken flavor on the shrimp was AWESOME! And yet I am a little squeamish about deliberately re-creating this. Silly, I know.

I like pork, lamb, deer, beef, mixed in chili.

What are some other good combinations af animals that are made mostly of MEAT?

I make stuffed chicken legs "A La Regence". The legs are de-boned and stuffed with the chicken breast made into forcemeat wrapped around slices of beef tongue, then sewn up, seered and baked.

To me, it's all about grinding up beef & lamb, mixing them together, and applying appropriate spices. Oh, gyro, how could I ever live without you?

When making homemade pasta sauce, in addition to adding homemade meatballs, add a piece of pork.

I like to buy "country ribs"; I can usually find a small cheap package for about a buck and a half that contains half a dozen or so. When you get home, individually wrap & freeze them. Then, when you make sauce, brown one of these, then add it to the sauce & let it cook for a few hours on low.

This is so cheap to do & makes such a big difference. The combination of beef & pork works magic in pasta sauce...

Damn AZ! That is rare info to be sure.

Is Elk as gamey as venison? I like deer OK, but I like strong seasoning with the gaminess.

How about grilled breast of chicken under a sunny side up egg?

Something about that seems so wrong....

I once had a fish sausage at a Norwegian restaurant. It was a mix of pork and cod with a herb/potato binder, and was very tasty. On the same note, pretty much any type of seafood goes amazing with a good Spanish chorizo - especially clams cooked on a grill with slices of manchego and chorizo inside. Good stuff!

How about grilled breast of chicken under a sunny side up egg?

Something about that seems so wrong....

Something a little more common......

Take dead chicken, dredge it in dead chicken embryos and flour, season well, fry......

Fried chicken.;)

I once had a fish sausage at a Norwegian restaurant. It was a mix of pork and cod with a herb/potato binder, and was very tasty. On the same note, pretty much any type of seafood goes amazing with a good Spanish chorizo - especially clams cooked on a grill with slices of manchego and chorizo inside. Good stuff!

WOW, fish sausage is OUT THERE.

+1 on chorizo and clams.

Did chorizo and scallops last week. mmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Chorizo is almost there with bacon though, more of a seasoning than another animal.

I've got some venison and pork shoulder in my fridge. Thinking about making some sausage with them. Venison is so lean, do you guys add fat back or something to it to make a good sausage?

Damn AZ! That is rare info to be sure.

Is Elk as gamey as venison? I like deer OK, but I like strong seasoning with the gaminess.

Hate to be a PITA here, but Elk IS venison! Venison is the name for all wild game red meat.

And for all the people who think venison is gamey... there are two ways I've found to cook venison without the gamey taste.. High Heat over a very short interval (ala - rare to med rare), or moist heat over a long period of time IE: crock pot and stews... Smoking just covers up the gamey taste.

I think people tend to recoil from the thought of deer steaks or the like, because people always think they have to cook the "wild" out of it... like because it came from the woods it's got a higher chance of being diseased than the farm raised beef they jam full of antibiotics.... (but I digress) Anyway, cooking venison over high heat for longer periods seems to enhance the gamey taste... (and make it tough as shoe leather)

Next time you get a chance, prove it, cook one deer chop/steak... like you normally would, the other cook it for about 90 seconds each side over high heat...

I don't want to hear about TURDUCKENS. Bird on bird on bird is not crossing any taboo boundaries, and the whole practice is horsesh!t anyways, for the same reason "stuffing" doesn't work.

The internal temp of the inner most thing must be so high that the outermost thing is cooked to HELL.;)

I'm gonna call bullsh!t on this....Have you ever actually COOKED a turducken, or is this some armchair quaterbacking opinionated bs????

I just roasted a turducken and it was moist ALL the way through. From the perfectly crispy skin to the succulent turkey all the way down to the center....In fact it was the moistest Thanksgiving dish I have ever eaten let alone cooked.

It cooked til it reached the right internal temperature, and it came out immediately, not a second more, and rested for an hour.

So if you can't make it that way it's your fault, NOT the turducken. And if you haven't even attempted it then STFU noob.

All it takes is a simple cooking trick of roasting it under tinfoil for the first three or four hours before fnisishing it off.

155502_464725639066_620469066_5612132_8318598_n.jpg

Here's what I posted in my thread when I made it.

150842_464818289066_620469066_5613345_482055_n.jpg

149686_464848964066_620469066_5613730_2761251_n.jpg

It tasted fantastic, and the renderings made for some of the most flavorful gravy I've ever had. And I have never experienced a turkey so moist as this one. We guessed it was the turkey fat had something to do with it.

What little bones that were were left, like the drumpsticks and the wings, the meat fell off of.

Does that look like it was cooked to hell on the outside?????

So bite me......;)

Hardly.

If you like Turkey BBQ then fine.

Moist? I never said it wasn't. Pork BBQ is moist too, but I don't want my turkey falling off the bone.

Still do Stuffing? So go ahead and pull your turkey and STFU yourself NOOB.

I like my turkey just barely over 165. EVER HEAR OF ALTON BROWN?

If your inner most bird is just done, and your outside bird is 165F then you must have cooked for 23 hours at 165 and most likely you will have food poisoning.

Thanks for exposing yourself as a NOOB Revvy. and your post could not have been much less abrasive.

Neither Pork nor Turkey can be stuffed, cooked to perfection, and have anything inside them cooked to safe temps without extremely complicated and lucky pre-cooking of the stuffing, bird, or whatever TF you decided to stick inside of it.

Even though I am not a red meat carnivore, I have made some meatballs for a carnivorous friend that were veal, pork, and beef mixed together. I think that's probably a classic "meat" blend for meatloaf and meatballs. He said they were mightly tasty.

I think chicken and shrimp go very well together, and have used turkey 'bacon' in place of pork bacon in several recipes and it's been yummy.

I always mix 1 part ground pork to 2 parts ground beef when making burgers. The inlaws can never figure out why my burgers are always so juicy.

My meatloaf is virtually always 1lb each ground lamb, pork, and beef. I think that may have been mentioned earlier in this thread.

I've mixed Deer with beef, pork, goat, and lamb all with great success. I also did a deer and squirrel chilli, it was prety good. Most other wild meats I've only had on their own.

When people talk about deer tasting gamey, a lot of it has to do with how the deer was killed, how old it is, and how it was processed. You take young deer that was killed cleanly and cleaned and processed correctly there is no gamey taste what so ever. But you shoot an old doe that you have to track for 2 miles, drag it out without feild dressing it. and don't hang it up to drain the blood of course it's going to have an off-gamey flavor.

just a little heads up for ol' seabee john....VENISON is NOT any wild red meat that is hunted venison ONLY applies to those animals such as deer *all species and sub-species* elk moose and caribou see i can go out and shoot a squirrel a rabbit or a bear and it is NOT venison im not trying to be a rabble rouser just stating a very well known fact *atleast i thought so being a mountain born country boy* that is on par with the multiple stuffed animals like.....yawn turducken which i must add CAN be cooked properly yet in america seems to only be cooked properly by those who have had hands on training in the safe preparation and proper cooking i have had many cooked by normal joeblokes and it never tasted right ie: too moist...too dry...over cooked on outside...under cooked inside...not stuffed in correct order...the list goes on and on those are like some of the harder to brew and distill liquors you just have to know what you are doing in a very safe way venison is one of those normal meats the "wild game" taste depends on many factors the age of the deer NOT being one of them as i have had very good meat taken from older animals that cooked up juicy tender and without the slightest hint of gamy taste the gamy taste comes mostly from how it was treated within the first 30 minutes to hour after the animal was dropped if the innards and blood were left in the animal it will increase odds on the gamy flavor being there i myself prefer to hang them up side down and "kosher" them by throat slitting after they have drained i then field dress them ASAP having done that my entire life as a hunter i have only had 1 animal turn out gamy.....a old rabbit that was more of a mercy kill than a real hunt lol follow those tips and you will have great meat also quartering your kill after field dressing an wrapping in it's own skin for the journey back will help out a lot also wtf is up with revv being so fricken hostile ? dude did one of your expensive brews bust a bung? or did you? lmao j/k

Bender, I do agree that how cleaning and process your wild game, esp. with in the first half hour, is the number one key to getting great meat. I appoligize if my post implied that you can't get great meat from older animal, because once again I agree with you, but age does play a factor into the overall quality of the meat. Just like you get better quality beef from a young steer compared to an old worn out milker, the same applies to deer. My grandpa shot a very old doe we aged between 8-10 years old and you could taste the differance in the meat compared to the yearling I shot that same year. I'm not saying the old doe was bad meat, it was really good, I'm saying the younger deer was better.

haha yeah seen that episode eh well older animals do have a bit of a difference but in those cases the skill of the cook should be called on to turn some slightly tougher venison into a great meal marinades work wonders as do a small sand/rubber mallet lol but you do have a valid point my main statement was more to the turducken bore lol if ya want some odd meat dishes try this out

1pkg small scallops 1/2 stick REAL butter 20 jalapeño peppers 10 habenero peppers 4 large an well washed duck breasts 20 sets frog leg meat deboned 1pkg yourchoice cheese cut tops off peppers empty seeds mince scallops and mix with frogleg meat stuff peppers with half of a habenero slit open duck breast and remove some middle meat stuff peppers into breast top with yourchoice cheese and tie closed with chef's thread roast with basting or smoke

or ya could always send for some balut :drunk: imagine having a few of those with a double black ira ....

Pepper lover eh?

Me too. Crab and cheese stuffed habs is another pepper pleaser, but not quite so exotic as frog and scallop and pepper stuffed duck.

Back