Just one little change in degrees.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homeslice

Reaction score
So my Belgium Dubbel is being fermented at around 70 most of the day and am trying to bump the degrees down just a few. What have you done to change the temp just the slightest wee bit???

Time for a cold water bath, methinks, if you really need to get the temp down. Though 70 is right around the average optimal fermentation temp if I remember right.

Yah, sometimes it spikes up to 74 or so and wouldn't mind having something mickey moused to keep the temps slightly lower during the mid day heat.

I'd suggest checking the temp of your cold (tap) water a few times a day and compare those results to what the average air temp is. That will give you a clear idea of what level of cold you need in the tub. Worst come to worse, just freeze a few gallon sized plastic bottles of water and plop those in the bath.

I use the the Igloo 60qt cube cooler for a water bath. Here is the wally world link.
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/prod...00000003260410&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=5663765

Most coolers don't give you a good height to submerge the cooler in. This cooler is taller than most, although not quite tall enough to put the lid down, but the lid pops off easily enough and you can put a piece of styrofoam over the top with a hole cut out for the neck of the carboy. A few ice cubes or frozen water bottles will knock your temp down a couple degrees and it will hold for several hours before you need to put more ice in it.

Back