Pressure Relief Valve

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

egurney

Reaction score
I have a keg where there's a slow leak out the pressure relief valve. Unfortunately I discovered it while there was beer in the keg. I was planning on going to the LHBS tomorrow and picking up a new lid, sanitize and replace. Then try to fix the valve on the old one to use as a spare in the future.
Does anybody have a better idea as to what I can do to remedy this situation?

Thanks,
Eric

pull the lid off and unscrew the relief valve. clean and replace in the lid and reseal the keg.

it might just be something got tweaked in the valve and its preventing it from closing all the way.

I though of that, but what should I do with the now gaping hole in my keg?

Just throw some saran wrap or something over it for a little while. It will be fine

wow dude i didn't realize that the relief valves were like 10bones. have you tried taking them out and ensuring they are free moving and have smooth seals? if so try swapping between kegs and see if they seat better

So I took my valve off and it looked like there was some rust on the threads of the lid as well as where the seal would actually take place. I was able to knock some off and put some keg lube on the valve and it appears to have sealed ok.
New question though, what's the best way to get the rust off of the lid?

I've switched valves with other kegs before when one was already full of beer.

The keg shouldn't rust (stainless) but you may need to take a stainless wire brush to it and then let it re-passivate.

I figured it shouldn't rust, but it certainly was the color of rust. I'll see if I can find a stainless wire brush that small.
Is that a brush made of stainless or a brush specifically for stainless?

I figured it shouldn't rust, but it certainly was the color of rust. I'll see if I can find a stainless wire brush that small.
Is that a brush made of stainless or a brush specifically for stainless?

It could have very well been residual soda/beer gunk that has gotten to it. Have you tried soaking it for any period of time to see if this helps clean it a bit?
-Me

I found a new lid pressure relief valve at Keg Connection (http://stores.kegconnection.com) for just under $6. They also have 4oz of O-ring lube for under $4. I bought several kegs from them and they stand behind their products. I had a leaking liquid poppet valve on one I had recently purchased and they sent me a new keg without questions. :mug:

Back