What to put on yeast cake?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SRTBREW

Reaction score
Hey all, I brewed a belgian blonde a couple of days ago with wyeast belgian abbey II yeast. I want to put another beer on top of this one when it's done for cost reasons. What would you all suggest? Oh starting gravity of this beer was 1.058.

Tripel? 80-90% Pils malt, 10-20% clear candisugar or invert sugar (Lyle's Golden Syrup). Low hops for bittering only.

Oh, and harvest your yeast. You want esters in a Belgian beer, and overpitching - which is what knocking out onto a cake does - kills ester production.

Cheers!

Bob

I may be wrong, but I thought when pitching onto a cake you wanted to go with a lower gravity beer than the original? I haven't ever harvested yeast, and frankly am a little scared to.

If I pitch a higher gravity beer on the cake do you think it that would stress the yeast to give me the esters?

It is the opposite.

Start with the lower gravity beer and the pitch a higher onto the cake. I have done progressions such as APA, IPA, IIPA.

Usually what I do now, as Bob suggested, is take some of the slurry out and pitch that into the beer instead of pitching on the whole cake. Just make sure everything is sanitized!

By slurry you mean just scoop up some of the yeast cake in a sanitized container, brew then pitch?

By slurry you mean just scoop up some of the yeast cake in a sanitized container, brew then pitch?

Yup. Simple as that. Compute how much you'll need by consulting the Mr Malty Calculator, then harvest more than that. It's always good to have some extra, and you can always wash the extra and save it for growing a starter.

Bob

When I have a unique yeast like that I make my house ale with it and see how much the yeast changes the flavor of the beer.

Back