I MIGHT be an idiot but..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMU_Alumn08

Reaction score
I have one of the bubbler air locks (clear and conical shaped with water in it-its 3 pieces. But are you supposed to leave the lid piece on during fermentation??

ahh crap. ok thanks guys. its on! pitched yeast 6 hours ago and nothing thus far...

Well, wait another 66 hours before worrying!

And I use the airlock cap. Unless I've lost it. So, don't sweat it too much either way. It does keep the fruitflies out if you have that kind of issue in the summer/fall. But if the lid is inexplicably missing, that's ok too. I have 1,000,000 airlocks. And three lids. I think the kids hide them to make me crazy (er).

ahh crap. ok thanks guys. its on! pitched yeast 6 hours ago and nothing thus far...

I've pitched yeast 52 hours ago and I have no bubbles but I can smell the sweet scent of fermentation. In my 5 batches only my first batch had airlock activity (when I pitched hot wort and had it standing in 75-80F), 2 of my batches had blow off tube but a familiar sweet smell :)

Airlock is not a sign of fermentation! I did see some of the water being pushed from one side of the airlock to the other but I just dont see actual bubbling. Maybe I have got temperature control and keep it in the 60's.

I have one of the bubbler air locks (clear and conical shaped with water in it-its 3 pieces. But are you supposed to leave the lid piece on during fermentation??

You're not an idiot. We've all been down the airlock path. Dropped it in the fermenter...never put any liquid in it...never even knew I owned a airlock...some of my airlock liquid spilled into the fermenter...can I use urine in the airlock instead of water...

No my friend...you're just a homebrewer traveling down homebrew boulevard. :mug:

Back